Nerite Snail Help

McBardly

Hi All,

I recently got 4 nerite snails (2 zebra, 2 red onion) to clean up green spot algae in my new shrimp tank. 24 hour later 3 of them are upside down and not moving. Trying to be patient, but I think I got a bad batch. All of them had little chips in their shells and may have had a rough ride in shipping. One of them has attached itself underneath an anubias nana leaf after cleaning a shocking amount of GSA off it and has been sleeping(?) all day.

Water parameters test good. All the blue neocaridina shrimps are breeding like crazy. ~10 adult shrimp to over 50 with all the babies in the past 2 weeks or so. No predators in this tank and I'm worried about being overran soon. Only strange thing is an infestation of tiny black bugs. Shrimp are breeding and I see so many babies that the bugs don't appear to be hurting anything. Thinking about getting cherry raspboras to see if they think the bugs will make a tasty treat... and maybe help with the shrimp population.

Did I just get unlucky with this batch of nerites? Am I freaking out too soon (maybe.. lol)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Dennis

• Like 1

A lot of snails are stressed after shipping and won't do too much for the first few days/weeks. It may be too soon to determine if they're having trouble or just adjusting to their new habitat.

• Like 2

Strangely enough... as soon as the sun started to go down, the one attached to the anubias went back to work. Was concerned the most about it as it's shell had more damage. I still worry that these snails weren't necessarily in the kindest environment.

I have now spent more time stressing about these snails than I have any other plant or animal in my aquariums.

This is a crazy hobby. 🙂

They are totally nocturnal - I hardly see mine during the day but as soon as the tank light is off, he’s out and about doing his janitorial duties!

Give the other nerites some time - I agree that they could still be a bit in shock. If you’re worried, pick them up and give them a sniff. If they smell bad then unfortunately they’re gone, but if they don’t then plop em back in.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 5:02 PM, ange said:

A lot of snails are stressed after shipping and won't do too much for the first few days/weeks. It may be too soon to determine if they're having trouble or just adjusting to their new habitat.

Yes mine did not clean for a day or two, and every once in a while the snail just is not as active that day and/or night.

On 9/13/2024 at 5:38 PM, McBardly said:

Strangely enough... as soon as the sun started to go down, the one attached to the anubias went back to work. Was concerned the most about it as it's shell had more damage. I still worry that these snails weren't necessarily in the kindest environment.

I have now spent more time stressing about these snails than I have any other plant or animal in my aquariums.

This is a crazy hobby. 🙂

Kinda unpredictable lol.

Thank you all for the responses. 3 of them are mostly going. Lots of balance issues with 2 of them still. I'm hoping with patience they will be ok eventually.

Poor little creatures didn't have an easy life before. My water has fairly high calcium and TDS in general. Hopefully it will be enough to help them recover.

• Like 2