Moss Slurry on driftwood

Hey all new to this forum I currently have a 20g long planted tank with guppies mollies harlequin rasboas and mystery snails… slowly working on changing and rearranging plants and hardscapes emphasis on the slowly as to not disturb the balance of bacteria. So on to the actual topic, I’ve started a moss slurry about a week ago now on some driftwood that I have in a DIY humidity dome that I mist every morning and evening with fish tank water and the correct amount of api complete fert for the volume of water in the mist bottle. I also have it under an old led aqueon light for about 12 hours a day.. has anyone ever done a moss slurry and was successful? If so what did you do? How did you do it? I know it takes a long time and persistence and patience but wanted some further insight and advice/suggestions let’s discuss and pick each others brains! 

My Fissidens moss slurry was successful until I let it get overgrown with BBA.  I discuss good and bad in my angelfish tank link in my signature.

Edited by Odd Duck
Add link that should take you to the start of the moss part.
  • Like 1

What is a moss slurry exactly?

I have this nasty thing in a totally unmaintained shrimp tank. I’m pretty sure it’s 100% algae but for some reason, algae doesn’t grow anywhere else in the tank but on this log. I actually pulled the log out of our farm pond years ago and stuck it in this 29 when I kept bluegill in the tank. Are there some mosses more suited to this sort of thing than others?

IMG_4989.jpeg

Yeah that seems to be green hair algae and moss slurry is basically moss blended up with some binder to help paint it on (literally with a paint brush) on hardscape and it grows under the right conditions high humidity and most of misting takes a while 6-8 weeks maybe more maybe less all depends on conditions 

I’ve read you can do it with most moss I’m not sure if there is better ones that others I’m currently experimenting on my first piece of driftwood moss slurry using flame moss I’ll post a pic of my humidity dome shortly