Another mystery illness

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Finneus has been in a quarantine tank for some time now. Was living in a tank with 18 other healthy fish. Over the course of several months I’ve tried (one by one) ich-x, jungle fungus tabs, Kanaplex, salt. Now I’m about to start day 4 of Maracyn. There have been long rest periods between treatments; usually 2 weeks. Whatever this is, it’s resistant to these meds. Initially it looked like a larger patch; now it looks like a few dots. Always on the nose; never the eyes or body. The fish acts normally and eats well. What’s the matter with Finneus?

IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 9/11/2024 at 3:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Finneus has been in a quarantine tank for some time now. Was living in a tank with 18 other healthy fish. Over the course of several months I’ve tried (one by one) ich-x, jungle fungus tabs, Kanaplex, salt. Now I’m about to start day 4 of Maracyn. There have been long rest periods between treatments; usually 2 weeks. Whatever this is, it’s resistant to these meds. Initially it looked like a larger patch; now it looks like a few dots. Always on the nose; never the eyes or body. The fish acts normally and eats well. What’s the matter with Finneus?

IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8598.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

Do you have other black neons besides Finneus?

On 9/11/2024 at 8:31 AM, Tlindsey said:

Do you have other black neons besides Finneus?

Yes. They are in another tank; the tank he came from. They have no symptoms.

On 9/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, Tlindsey said:

Tetra will bicker amongst themselves so possibly wounds. All Tetra have teeth if you didn't know that already. 

If it were wounds I would think they would have healed over the course of the several months and with the Kanaplex, salt, or Maracyn.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

Possible costia or chilodonella treatment for that is increasing bio filtration add a UV steriliser to the lower the bacterial count in water and treat with ick X or fritz copper safe  symptoms are grey or white patches a beat up appearance to the fish that can resemble injury caused by fighting can sometimes get spots @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2024 at 5:47 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Wow, never heard of these. Thank you

contagious?

They are external ectoparasites so they  would be available to spread to your other fish I can't say for  that's the cause some of the  symptoms are  similar  to parasites I mentioned 

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Thanks 1