FX6 media setup

Cjbear087

So gonna setup my fx6 soon and am thinking for my media setup I’m gonna do this:

Bottom tray: lower half - bag of chemipure blue, upper half - fill up with Seachem matrix

Middle tray: remove mini red tray and fill completely with Seachem matrix

Top tray: lower half - fill with Seachem matrix, upper half - included bio foam pad

Will this setup be okay and is everything in the right order? Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 4:49 PM, Cjbear087 said:

bag of chemipure blue

if you're going to plant, use chemipure green. It's made for planted tanks. otherwise it's the same.

On 9/10/2024 at 5:02 PM, Cjbear087 said:

So the order of filtration will be mechanical, biological, chemical

That's the correct flow. from the bottom to top outside, then back to the bottom in the center.  I constantly have to remind myself that each time I do a refill. 😀

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 10:19 PM, Tony s said:

if you're going to plant, use chemipure green. It's made for planted tanks. otherwise it's the same.

Already bought the blue. Will it ruin my plants or is it not that big of a deal? 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Will it ruin my plants or is it not that big of a deal?

My lfs warned against it. You can try it or see if you can exchange it. I haven't tried the blue with the lfs warning against it.

looking at the difference. Blue has phosphate removers in it. So, you'll always be phosphate deficient in your plants 

• Like 1

What if instead I did this:

Bottom tray: all Seachem matrix

Middle tray: all Seachem matrix

Top tray: slightly less than half Seachem matrix (whatever’s left), then on top of that a Fluval quick clear pad and on top of that my chemical media?

So then the order will be mechanical, chemical, biological 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 10:53 PM, Tony s said:

You want the chemical last so your bacteria can eat before you remove its food 

Ah okay, I wasn’t sure if it was fine or not as I have seen lots of conflicting info - some people says the chemical can go before the bio

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 5:58 PM, Cjbear087 said:

Ah okay, I wasn’t sure if it was fine or not as I have seen lots of conflicting info - some people says the chemical can go before the bio

well, technically all those side sponges are going to be loaded with bacteria anyway. So, not 100% sure if it makes a difference. I just try to follow that each time I reload.