Canadian Native fish species for keeping ?

Hi I hope you're doing good ! So I've seen Fish Folk's posts about USA's native specie for the aquarium hobby. I personally am in Canada and I couldn't find websites showing freshwater species that could be kept in tank. It was mostly species you could fish, so mostly big fishes. Fish Folk showed shiners for example. I was wondering if there was similar species in Canada and if there's a website showing their native territory like provinces etc. Have a nice day !

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 11:56 PM, TheFishCellar said:

Hi I hope you're doing good ! So I've seen Fish Folk's posts about USA's native specie for the aquarium hobby. I personally am in Canada and I couldn't find websites showing freshwater species that could be kept in tank. It was mostly species you could fish, so mostly big fishes. Fish Folk showed shiners for example. I was wondering if there was similar species in Canada and if there's a website showing their native territory like provinces etc. Have a nice day !

Canada Shiner species on the Native forum NANFA.

I know of few governments who enjoy law-making more than Canada. Unfortunately, this may make legal catching, keeping, or selling of native Canadian species particularly challenging. You may need to acquire permits to be above board. This is, however, a fun project to dream about! Let me arm you with one helpful resource right away:  iNaturalist Canada 

Here are several very attractive and compatible species, linked to a Canadian iNat page. IF legal to catch (a very, very big IF), these could enjoy a long life in a tank of ca. 45-55 gallons...

(1) Rainbow Darters

(2) Northern Redbelly Dace

(3) Blackstripe Topminnow (definitely would require a permit)

(4) Redside Shiner

On the side of a larger tank for a larger species-only set up, if it could be legally done, a tank of Lepomis peltastes (Northern Sunfish) could be beautiful. They max out at 5 inches long. Look at this beauty...

Lepomispeltastes.jpeg.d20db1ec5aa73cfe99879bb323888c0d.jpeg

I am sure there are many, many others. Seek, and you shall find! 🇨🇦