python after ich

Arsenic_Y3llow

Hey folks. I'm currently going through ich treatment on my 90 gallon, and as part of that I started with a water change. I'm just wondering what to do about my python water changer now, and how to go about making it safe again. I don't want to reintroduce ich to my tank when I do a new water change after treatment when I use it. most of what I've read says to let it dry out completely, but it's 25 feet long and just never completely dries out. can I hook it up to my sink and run hot water through it for like 30 minutes or something, or does anyone have a suggestion? my other tanks are starting to be due a water change too and I worry about how long I'm gonna have to go the bucket route with those before it's safe to use again 

tali.jpg

yeah, I've heard it's very effective, but it's really hard to get in any quantity where I live. biggest bottles I can find I think is a quart, but I guess I can fill it up with a couple of those and just slosh it around for a good long while maybe

On 9/6/2024 at 8:59 PM, Arsenic_Y3llow said:

but I guess I can fill it up with a couple of those and just slosh it around for a good long

Exactly what I did. Filled it full from one end to the other. Good thing it’s really pretty cheap. 😀

I usually just use bleach to disinfect things. Might be kinda hard on any rubber gaskets in the python, I don't use one so not sure if there are any. 1/3 cup per gallon of water. Let it sit for an hour, rinse it well, then transfer to a bucket with dechlor or let it dry completely. Stick an airline hose in one end and seal it up a bit with plastic wrap or something.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 9:58 PM, Woowala said:

usually just use bleach to disinfect things

@Arsenic_Y3llow bleach would work, but depending on the kind, can leave a slight residue. Peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen naturally 

There is a kind of bleach that leaves an oily residue. Sorry, I can’t seem to recall 

On 9/7/2024 at 2:16 AM, Arsenic_Y3llow said:

I guess I know what I'm gonna go buy tomorrow then, thanks so much 👍

You can put your hose in a bucket or tote fill with 3% hydrogen peroxide solution add a small pump to the hose leave it running for 24hr to disinfect hoses 

• Love 1