Shrimp died

SoDaksam

Started a dieted tank with the dry start method a few months ago. Went great S. Repens, Java moss, dwarf hair grass, some red ludwigia.  Free like crazy.  Things were going well.  Added shrimp off of eBay.  With in a month I tripled  the population.  Slowly they died off.  I don’t think I have many if any left.  Sponge filter.  Minimal water changes.  DIY co2.  Easy green pump once a week. Not sure where I screwed up.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.  I do have small bubbles coming out of the substrate.  Small white, circular bugs swimming around.  

Dirted tank…

Not free,  it grew like crazy

Agreed that parameters might be an issue.  Also, what kind of dirt did you use?

I have 2 dirted tanks, one of them has co2, and both of them have shrimp. No issues on my end. 

It’s also a little wild that the population tripled, meaning you had babies growing up in your water, and then they all died off. In my experience, shrimp born and successfully grown in your water become near bulletproof.

All of them dying leads me to believe it’s an issue with the environment. 

Agreed.  I made no changes in the last few months.  I’ve read small water changes are best.  I might’ve overfed a bit.  2 tabs a day?  Potting soil with bio soil over the top.  Plants are thriving.  Dam guppy grass.  Java moss is on fire,too.  Ordered some more.   Ammonia test soon. 

Two tabs per day of anything does sound like a lot of food for shrimp unless you had hundreds of them. Depending on how long ago the mass die off occurred, you may still have baby shrimp in the tank that are too small to see. 

OK, finally tested the water parameters with the test kit I have.  Ammonia =0, nitrate=0, nitrate 10-20 (hard for me read the color on the chart), pH 7.6.  No signs of shrimp life.  Plants and snails going nuts.  Thanks for any tips.  Sam

Not a huge aquarium water chemist. Gh is water hardness, correct?  We do have a water softener and we’ll water.  Don’t have a Gh test.  I’ll stop the co2.  I really only use it sporadically through a chop stick tip.  It runs out after a week or two.  I can stop using it.  Don’t need more plants. Thanks for your insight.  Frustrating, they were going great for months.  

Yes, gh is general hardness, basically a measure of the calcium and magnesium in the water.  The water softener removes cal and mag and replaces them with sodium and I think potassium (might explain why your plants are doing so well).  So that could definitely be it.  Any white marks on the snails' shells?  That would be an indicator of low gh, but a test would be better. Get a test, the liquid dropper kind.  One of the easiest and cheapest tests, so that's nice.

But I would blame the inconsistent diy co2 if they all died off quickly, like overnight.

Easiest way would be to get some water before it goes through the softener like MWilk said and mix it with the softened water in whatever ratio gets you the right gh.  Or you could get a gh booster mix and add it to the softened water.