Botanicals ID

Scaperoot

I see maple leaves, oak leaves, and almond leaves. 

I collect most of my botanicals outside (only do this in areas you know aren't sprayed with herbicide or insecticide etc!) I know in florida there are many great trees to choose from. Many oaks, such as your native southern live oak, have great botanicals. I think swamp oak / cow oak would be great too! Magnolia leaves would be nice too. Mangrove and red maple are likely in your area too.

Or you could order some! Either way again what I mainly see is maple leaves, oak leaves, and almond leaves. Maple and oak seems the most prevalent: the ones with the sharp lobes are maples or oaks. Hope this helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, agree on all the leaves and alder cones.  There might be a lotus pod in the bottom right corner, I can’t tell for sure.  That wood could be contributing some, too.  Rooibos tea can also contribute nice tannins.

There are lots of options, but like already mentioned, make sure anything you get is free of pesticides or herbicides of any kind.

• Like 1

I love my blackwater tanks and playing with botanicals. While these aren’t in the screenshot, some of my favorites include:

-Indian Almond Leaves. Standard, but standard for a reason

-Lotus Pods

-Acorn Caps

-Sweetgum Pods

I have bought several “variety” boxes and have played with everything in them. Probably around 20-25 varieties of botanicals at this point. These days I just order the things I really like in bulk and continue to use those. I have a box of things that sits there unused, because I enjoy the look and/or how much tannins other botanicals release. 

Just my $0.02. Blackwater tanks are super fun, and they’re kind of a cheat code to make things look really neat with little effort lol. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 6:34 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I love my blackwater tanks and playing with botanicals. While these aren’t in the screenshot, some of my favorites include:

-Indian Almond Leaves. Standard, but standard for a reason

-Lotus Pods

-Acorn Caps

-Sweetgum Pods

I have bought several “variety” boxes and have played with everything in them. Probably around 20-25 varieties of botanicals at this point. These days I just order the things I really like in bulk and continue to use those. I have a box of things that sits there unused, because I enjoy the look and/or how much tannins other botanicals release. 

Just my $0.02. Blackwater tanks are super fun, and they’re kind of a cheat code to make things look really neat with little effort lol. 

Acorn caps? I hadn't thought of those! That sounds super fun. 

• Like 1

Acorn caps are dooooope! I first played with them when I got them in a variety box, and now I’ve continued to buy them. 

They release a toooon of tannins, and they just look dope. I always love when I catch a Cory eating snacks out of one, too. 
IMG_5105.jpeg.4ff6a90936f23816969f45f1ef91c7cf.jpeg

Too good!

IMG_7764.jpeg.4e69d47e9f097b5defa2656b4398a26c.jpeg

These new acorn caps are smaller, but still awesome. Sweetgum Pods just look rad. 
IMG_7766.jpeg.9ed2b421095fad5e9fb8a81e8f756e77.jpeg

Bought a whole giant box of those bad boys! I think it’s like 200 of them. I love that they still have the stems on them, too. 

• Like 1