What plants to grow in a 10 gallon aquarium and how to grow plants in big river rock.

Hello. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with big river rock substrate that doesn’t have any fertilizer already in it.

Does anyone know what I should do to provide nutrients to my plants? Also does anyone have any experience growing in big river rock? Because I have trouble with getting plants to take root in it and was wondering if I should take the river rock out and put gravel underneath of it? Help!

Edited by Fish finatic45

How big are we talking? Rhizome plants and moss are all that would be naturally present on large (greater than 1”) river rock. Anubias, Java ferns, bucephalandra. 

if you’re talking normal aquarium gravel, 1/4” or so, bunch up the stem plants with a loose weight wrapped up on them until they solidly root. What type of plant are you trying to keep?

When you say river rock I assume you mean medium sized smooth stones.It would be hard for plants, even rhizome plants, to take root in those conditions. I would reccomend filling the gaps with gravel.If you do decide to go with rhizome plants then make sure not to bury the rhizome in the gravel because it needs to be exposed. 

Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

I tried Amazon sword it rotted and died.  I also tried moss and it died. I have kept one plant alive and am getting some floating plants which may be my best bet. This is the stone/gravel that I have. 

Edited by Fish finatic45

I see you have driftwood. We can work with that:

Moss: You can attach (preferably Java Moss) to the driftwood by wrapping it around the top of the wood and attaching it with sewing string or fishing line. It will start growing roots and attaching itself to the wood by digging in.

Plants: I would 100% reccomend Java Ferns, they are big, leafy and are really easy to care for. All you need to do is find a little crevice in the wood and gently push it (the roots) in there, if the crevice isn't that deep I would try wrapping string/fishing line around the wood to keep it (the roots) in place and Ta-da you have a java fern. Both the moss and the fern will enjoy/need Fertilizers, I reccomend Easy Green made by Aquarium Co-Op. The lack of ferts could be why your plants didn't make it. 

There is nothing wrong with your substrate except the fact that it has no nutrients. If you wanted to try Rooted Plants the I would def add a gravel/sand mixture into the river rock to give the roots something to hold onto. Also use root tabs if you end up going with this option. Read the directions because I dont use them (but ik they work) 

Last thing: What temp do you keep your tank at? I see a heater behind the bubble filter. Do you have anything in the tank like fish or snails or shrimp?

Edited by CoryWithAKatana

Oh..so the Cory catfish, they like keeping your substrate clean by filter feeding through their gills. With the big river rock they cant really do that.. I would highly recommend adding sand  on top/mixed in the river rock. Cory Catfish are great for keeping your substrate clean they just have to be able to filter it through their gills.

Yes! There are many rooted plants that could thrive in your tank with proper care.

May I reccomend Dwarf Aquarium Lilies: These small red plants can add pop to any tank. They will root in sand and take their nutrients from the water column and the substrate. At first the plant will grow many leaves to create great cover for corydoras to rest under then after a few weeks (hopefully) you should start seeing a thick stem reaching for the surface. After a few exhilarating days of waiting you should see a bright red Lily Pad on the surface of your tank. I have found they grow best in 10 gallons or less because they can get more light and dont have to reach as far for the surface. They like Medium light but yours should be fine. 

Edited by CoryWithAKatana

If you really like the smooth stone appearance, just add enough sand to fill the crevices. The Cory cats will make sure it all ends up in the right spots. 
I stand by my list, anubias and java ferns look great in a 10 gallon. Some windelov Java ferns looking crazy in the mid ground, anbuias Barteri in the back. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2024 at 8:20 PM, Fish finatic45 said:

Hello. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with big river rock substrate that doesn’t have any fertilizer already in it.

Does anyone know what I should do to provide nutrients to my plants? Also does anyone have any experience growing in big river rock? Because I have trouble with getting plants to take root in it and was wondering if I should take the river rock out and put gravel underneath of it? Help!

I’ve been doing this for years and am only recently coming to appreciate just how dim the lighting needs to be in low-tech (no injected CO2) tanks. My current light is advertised as being “low light” and my plants have been doing so much better since I bought a dimmer and lowered it even more.