Sajica cichlid aggression level

Okay, so what about Amatitlania sajica, the T-bar cichlid? Do you think one of those would be mellow enough to safely cohabitate with a blue acara and a festivum in a 55g? I’ve heard they’re a lot more peaceful than their congener, the convict, but I’m wondering if they’re still too rowdy for South American cichlids. I’ve never kept them, so I’m finding it hard to believe they’re that much more peaceful than convicts. But maybe they are, so enlighten me. 😁

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 1

This is a difficult call to make. First, a 55 gal. is probably too small. 75 gal. would be recommended minimum dimensions. Cichlids typically need an established and undisputed “tank boss” for peace to ensue. I kept Threadfin Acaras with Electric Blue Acaras… until… the glass-cage match broke out.

If you try this, you need a way to separate them if they start to fight.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2024 at 7:02 AM, Fish Folk said:

This is a difficult call to make. First, a 55 gal. is probably too small. 75 gal. would be recommended minimum dimensions. Cichlids typically need an established and undisputed “tank boss” for peace to ensue. I kept Threadfin Acaras with Electric Blue Acaras… until… the glass-cage match broke out.

If you try this, you need a way to separate them if they start to fight.

Hmm … so who won, the threadfin acaras or the blue acaras?

Yes, I don’t want to rock the boat. Currently, the festivum keeps to the middle and upper layers, while the blue acara stays mostly in the middle and lower layers, so they usually leave each other alone. The festivum is a bit older and bigger, so occasionally he exerts his dominance with a short chase, but there is no fighting, no nipping, no split fins etc, so that’s great.

If sajica are anything like their cousin, the convict, I would think they like the lower layers, too, which would put one in direct competition for space with the blue acara. And maybe a sajica would prevent the festivum from foraging along the bottom, which would be bad, too. Again, I guess if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 😉

Edited by AtomicSunfish

On 8/28/2024 at 8:02 AM, Fish Folk said:

I kept Threadfin Acaras with Electric Blue Acaras… until… the glass-cage match broke out

Okay then, um, how many did you keep together? I have 1 of each and several angels together at the moment. and lots of small fish to break them up. Don't need no tank wars.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 2:06 PM, Tony s said:

Okay then, um, how many did you keep together? I have 1 of each and several angels together at the moment. and lots of small fish to break them up. Don't need no tank wars.

How big are they? Mine were fine until males reached 4-5 inches long. 

On 8/28/2024 at 1:42 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

Hmm … so who won, the threadfin acaras or the blue acaras?

It was ugly. One Threadfin nearly died. Because both were nearly the same size, they didn’t back down.

• Sad 1

On 8/28/2024 at 8:52 PM, Fish Folk said:

How big are they

How many were there. per type. Trying to stave off aggression. I can see multiples going after each other. Hopefully 1 of each works? Was planning on leaving the aggression to the angels 🤣  Only half joking. I've had some nasty angel pairs before

• Like 1

As a rule, when it comes to riverine cichlids (and sunfishes, for that matter), I generally keep only one of each species, unless I'm prepared to let them breed. Amazingly, species that shoal in nature usually get territorial in captivity, probably due to limited space. Angelfish, festivum, Mayan cichlids, tilapia, and many others are happy to move together in the wild, but often can’t stand their own kind in a tank, unless they’re paired off. IME a community of singletons works best. Keeping two of a kind results in one becoming a bully, and the other having to be removed. With angels, keeping large enough groups can work, since they can still get along with each other; but again, if a pair is ready to mate, the remaining angels are in jeopardy.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 11:32 PM, AtomicSunfish said:

and many others are happy to move together in the wild, but often can’t stand their own kind in a tank, unless they’re paired off.

Ooh yeah, my angels do fine together right up until they pair off. Then all heck breaks loose. But it also depends on the pair. Most have been okay, but one marble pair had a hyper aggressive male. He claimed half a 75g and kept even the praecox on the bottom. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 10:58 PM, Tony s said:

Ooh yeah, my angels do fine together right up until they pair off. Then all heck breaks loose. But it also depends on the pair. Most have been okay, but one marble pair had a hyper aggressive male. He claimed half a 75g and kept even the praecox on the bottom. 

Angels can be difficult like that. On the one hand, I’ve found they’re not as tough as other cichlids their size. On the other, once they’re ready to mate, they can take over a tank like any other cichlid. Kind of makes the case for singletons, unless you want babies. 😉