Cloudy Water -Bacterial Bloom or something else?

schmofam

I have had cloudy water for weeks now. I believe it started a while after adding new rummy nose tetras but I'm not sure. I thought it would help to do a big water change a couple of times but it didn't. That was at least three weeks ago. After some research, I think it might be a bacterial bloom, but I wonder why it's taking so long for the water to clear up. I don't believe I'm feeding too much. When I feed once a day the food doesn't reach the bottom of the tank before getting gobbled up. The timid fish are very aggressive when eating. I do put in algae wafers but they get eaten up by the shrimp that same day. I think I will cut back on the wafers for the shrimp a bit. I was also using Easy Green but have cut back on that.

It's a 20-gallon planted tank.
I have 18 tetras, 2 guppies, a Nerite snail, and about 110 cherry shrimp.

Water Params:
Temp: 75F
PH: 7.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40
Ammonia: 0

Thanks

IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

If you ask me, considering your parameters are OK, you need to upgrade your mechanical filtration game

This sort of look happens when my fine filters in my HOB got yucky and fish disturb the soily tank substrate

On 8/27/2024 at 12:26 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

How long has the tank been setup?

About a year.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:27 PM, Lennie said:

If you ask me, considering your parameters are OK, you need to upgrade your mechanical filtration game

This sort of look happens when my fine filters in my HOB got yucky and fish disturb the soily tank substrate

Sponge filters don't work with this?

On 8/27/2024 at 10:02 PM, schmofam said:

Sponge filters don't work with this?

Only fine filter like filter wools and similar very fine pads may work for such fine particles sadly. Sponge filters work good for biological filtration and holding bigger particles around them but especially for mechanical filtration, they are not enough IMO. At least that's my experience

On 8/27/2024 at 1:19 PM, Lennie said:

Only fine filter like filter wools and similar very fine pads may work for such fine particles sadly

It's strange because this hasn't been an issue for a year so that's why that gives me some pause here that it's a filter issue. Possibly the dirt has broken down so there are more particles?