Too far gone?

So my panda corys (3) are battling a case of mouth rot. I put them in a hospital tank and did two rounds of Maracyn over a 2 week time span. I didn’t want to put them back just yet, but at the same time my hospital tank is small. I decided to move them to a temporarily empty, fully cycled 5 gallon betta tank to let them maybe heal up a little more. The one cory that had it pretty bad seems to be getting better, but the smaller one in the pictures still looks bad. I’ve euthanized fish (clove oil) that were basically dead already, not wanting to prolong the inevitable, but I’m not sure about this. He tries to eat, he’s active, but it just looks painful. I feel terrible for the little guy. Do you think I should do it?

IMG_2269.jpeg.672937682a0a9144ab10270bc847455d.jpegIMG_2270.jpeg.10131c5aedd8cc7279feb637408a11f9.jpegIMG_2268.jpeg.737699a9dcd990ce0f2de43f0ed6b9e8.jpegIMG_2272.jpeg.a44fb36a62032a326f9f0dca11bc47c8.jpeg

• Sad 1

If it truly looks like it’s suffering. It’s sometimes necessary. I personally have a hard time with it though. I usually fight as long as I can against it. We raise actual livestock. If I think there’s any hope at all, I give them every chance I can. Even a slim chance. Maybe it’s time to ask @Colu to see about an alternative in treatment plans. 

On 8/26/2024 at 11:09 PM, Tony s said:

We raise actual livestock.

Yeah, I grew up on a farm. When it comes to land dwelling animals, I have tons of self confidence lol Fish on the other hand I’m not as experienced. 

• Love 1

Another thing I might try next time. I’d probably use maracyn2 or kanaplex first. They’re stronger meds and more broad spectrum. Erythromycin does a good job on gram positive bacteria. Most rots are more gram negative. 

On 8/26/2024 at 11:20 PM, BettaBabe94 said:

Fish on the other hand I’m not as experienced.

I know exactly how you feel. 🤣  my daughter won a fish at a fall festival a couple of years ago. They didn’t make it until morning. So now we have fish. And after 4-h this year. We also have bunnies. I went into both completely blind. 😂. But we learn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2024 at 11:23 PM, Tony s said:

Another thing I might try next time. I’d probably use maracyn2 or kanaplex first. They’re stronger meds and more broad spectrum. Erythromycin does a good job on gram positive bacteria. Most rots are more gram negative. 

Ok, I might try that. I only did Erythormycin because the API version mentioned it on their box. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 11:28 PM, BettaBabe94 said:

I only did Erythormycin because the API version mentioned it on their box. 

Right. I have done the same for my daughter’s betta. It didn’t do a whole lot. I have an electric blue acara with fin rot I’m going to try to bring back. starting tomorrow. I have been following colu for a bit. There is a whole lot to learn here. 

With kanaplex I think. Was going to use maracyn2 in @Colus feed recipe. Still not sure which 

On 8/27/2024 at 4:20 AM, BettaBabe94 said:

Yeah, I grew up on a farm. When it comes to land dwelling animals, I have tons of self confidence lol Fish on the other hand I’m not as experienced. 

It might not fully recover the use of its mouth if you think he's suffering and can't eat then I would euthanize with clove I would do a course of maracyn2 or kanaplex they are more broad spectrum antibiotic treatments that @Tony s recommended you could add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties as well

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1