What plywood thickness do I need to help support my aquaria?

I've been planning a rack of aquaria for a while now. I'm going to use a Uline widespan wire rack with wood laid over the shelves to better distribute the weight. My original plan involved large tanks supported by sections of "two by" lumber laid across the rack. Since then, I've revised my plans to use smaller tanks as pictured in the diagram below. I was hoping to be able to use thinner wood, like plywood to give me some more head room in the shelves, but I don't know how thin I can go before it's too weak to support the tanks. What thickness should I go with? Or do I need to stick with the original "two by" plan?

ZKMxB1F.png

On 8/22/2024 at 9:24 AM, saint_abyssal said:

I'm going to use a Uline widespan wire rack with wood laid over the shelves to better distribute the weight

Honestly, this may not be necessary. Those wire support shelves are usually tough and don’t really bow any at all. Especially if you’re going to have a hard center support as shown. We use a different brand than u-line for supporting industrial 1 ton pallets. The goal ,for us because of the weight, is to stack as close to the edges as possible. But with small weight tanks and extra support in the middle, the wire is more than sufficient.

Most people are usually thinking of the wooden shelves or the cheap shelves that come with standard rack. Wire is completely different 

Edited by Tony s

On 8/22/2024 at 10:54 AM, gabdewulf said:

The plywood in this case only purpose to keep the surface level across the wires by distributing the weight

Yeah, I get that. But if there is actually a center steel brace, the size of each "hole" between braces is 30" x 24". not much room for deflection at all.

Alternative scenario, I'd just ditch the wire and use 3/4" plywood. Is not any reason to do both materials.