Sick Betta

Kevin1127

Hi, I'm Kevin. My Betta Black Currant Icecream isn't doing well. He's in a 5 gallon tank by himself, There's a hang on the back with the flow turned all the way down. The water parameters are all normal. The temperature is 30 degrees celcius (Normal in Chennai, India). I got him 2 months ago but for the past couple of weeks he's been very inactive, He stays at the top or at the bottom of the tank for most of the day. He eats well and I give him Hikari Betta Bio gold (twice a day, 3-5 pellets a time). He seems lethargic now and he doesn't raise his top fin as he used to do when I got him. I did have some Java moss in there but I removed them now (they started rotting). I do a 20% water change weekly. I can't see any white spots on him, nor can I see any tears in his fins. He doesn't have a swollen belly either. He looks sick, but I can't find out what the problem is. The guy at the local aquarium where I got him said it's because of the sudden dip in temperature and the fish would be fine if I keep him at 30 and put some salt in. What should I do? Can you help me?

Fish 2.jpg

Fish.jpg

Edited by Kevin1127

These were the closest I could possibly get (I’ve added two more) , and as for the temperature, that’s like the normal room temperature here in our city. We do get to 26 but that’s in the winter, like now. So I’m sure all the fish in our city are slanted to that temp. sorry to disagree with you about the temp but that’s were all the fish in our city exist and they’re happy.

8F5ED484-AFC7-454F-B1B9-482A391367DF.jpeg

49022CD3-9277-4069-9158-CF6807CA47B0.jpeg

I would try some plants again, maybe a java fern, a moss ball, and a floating betta log to give him a nice place to sleep. Bettas are pretty intelligent and like things to do. Speaking of lights, how long are you leaving them on? Make sure you're giving him some lights-out time. Also try to check the ph and other parameters before doing a water change. It can tell you a lot!

Edit to add: might want to hold off on food for a day or an evening, see if he's more interested in food after a brief fast.

Edited by Kirsten