Apistogramma Macmasteri fry too!

Mag

First spawn for this pair as well. Was a small clutch only about 20. Free swimming 8/1. She's beeb a really good mom so far but now they are starting to venture away from her. Is this a good time to remove the fry to the grow out tank? 10 gallon tank - 24"x14"x7". Worried the multiple daily feedings are causing nitrites to rise. Only feeding the fry live BBS.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I would move male out of the tank. If they move to spawn again together while fry are still small, they sometimes eat earlier batch. Mom will protect from predators for a few weeks.

By 3-4 weeks, move Mom out.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 9:53 PM, Fish Folk said:

I would move male out of the tank. If they move to spawn again together while fry are still small, they sometimes eat earlier batch. Mom will protect from predators for a few weeks.

By 3-4 weeks, move Mom out.

I'm having trouble finding info on spawning cycles. How soon after a pairs first spawn will they attempt again? I'm assuming around a month.... also one thing my dummy self forgot to plan for was removing the fry from the tank.. any tips? My first idea was to use a 2" hose and just syphon them into a bucket

On 8/22/2024 at 9:18 PM, Mag said:

I'm having trouble finding info on spawning cycles. How soon after a pairs first spawn will they attempt again? I'm assuming around a month.... also one thing my dummy self forgot to plan for was removing the fry from the tank.. any tips? My first idea was to use a 2" hose and just syphon them into a bucket

I strongly suggest moving _the adults_ rather than the fry.

On 8/22/2024 at 10:29 PM, Fish Folk said:

I strongly suggest moving _the adults_ rather than the fry.

Why is that? Because the fry are already used to that tanks parameters? And the adults can acclimate easier?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 12:52 AM, Mag said:

Why is that? Because the fry are already used to that tanks parameters? And the adults can acclimate easier?

Exactly. You could place adults in tiny hang-on-side net baskets for a short while as you ready a new home. But if you lift fry into net baskets, they may lose their food base on the floor that they nibble on all day.