Filter feedback request

LDZ

Hi, I have a 13 gallon aquarium I have been fighting (managing) gill flukes in for years,  Prazi etc. I had a grech hob with UV sterilizer that  eliminated the symptoms (flashing) meaning the numbers of flukes were less, Imo.   I have had to replace the filter several times because the motor keeps going out.   This last time I just put my aqueon back on and now all my fish are flashing alot.   I am going to treat with Prazi again.   

I was thinking about getting a  canister filter or ??? That has a UV sterilizer in it appropriate for a 13 gallon tank.   Any suggestions appreciated???

I know they say a 5 watt UV won't kill parasites but why would symptoms show up when the UV stopped??  Medicating doesn't seem to eliminate the pests.  Thanx!!! Not totally relevant to my question but ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40 heavily planted tank.😊. Thanx!!!!

I have a theory based on your post. My theory is you don't have flukes. You say you have treated the fish over and over but the flashing symptom remains. Take a moment to remember when the symptoms are the worst. Is it seasonal? Is it more often than not after a waterchange? 

I ask these questions because your problem mirrors what I have experienced in the past. After much research on the problem I  found out that it was my water affecting the fish, not parasites. 

The water municipality most often changes the treatments they use in the spring and again in the fall. They sometimes use chemicals that negatively affect the fish. Also, when the water temperature is lower in the system than in your home it will gas off when you warm it in the aquarium. This off-gasing is akin to a diver with the bends. The micro bubbles enter the body of the fish and create the irritation.

The remedy that eliminated the flashing for me was to gas-off and warm up the water in a large Brute garbage can. I will put the amount of water needed for my waterchange in the can with an airstone and heater at least 24 hours in advance. Now my fish have no more chronic flashing from the micro bubbles in their body. I think you may find this a useful technique. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow!   Thank you for sharing your experience.   I haven't really tracked when it's occurred I will start now.   However I did notice after the water change yesterday they were flashing way more than normal.  I haven't seen any flashing today.   Again, thank you for sharing 😊

On 8/13/2024 at 3:42 PM, LDZ said:

Wow!   Thank you for sharing your experience.   I haven't really tracked when it's occurred I will start now.   However I did notice after the water change yesterday they were flashing way more than normal.  I haven't seen any flashing today.   Again, thank you for sharing 😊

Is your water treated with chlorine or chloramines? My water is treated with chloramines and I will sometimes see minor flashing after a water change.

• Thanks 1

Tony S I have a Hillstream Loach and 8 lambchop Rasbora in this tank.  I use to have panda corys but they never thrived.   The corys are what brought in the gill flukes into my tank about two years ago 😞.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2024 at 1:51 PM, LDZ said:

I use to have panda corys but they never thrived

That’s the fish I was talking about. My pandas are all the time going from top to bottom and chasing each other around. My other corys don’t usually. But my pandas do. They’re close to 3 years old now. And still do it. Sorry you got a bad batch. They are a lot of fun to watch play with each other 

• Like 1