Cause of Death of ADF?

Louise02

We have had two ADF for a couple of weeks.  They were active and putting on weight.  When I woke up this morning, one was floating dead at the top.  He was severely bloated. 

I had not seen any signs of parasites.  I was feeding dry BBS, tubifex worms, and blood worms.

Any idea what it could be? or what I could do to avoid it in other ADF?

On 8/13/2024 at 12:01 PM, Louise02 said:

We have had two ADF for a couple of weeks.  They were active and putting on weight.  When I woke up this morning, one was floating dead at the top.  He was severely bloated. 

I had not seen any signs of parasites.  I was feeding dry BBS, tubifex worms, and blood worms.

@Guppysnail

On 8/13/2024 at 12:01 PM, Louise02 said:

Sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:32 AM, Tlindsey said:

@Guppysnail

Sorry for your loss. 

Thank you.  I'm torn between order another pair of ADF before it freezes (three-four weeks from now) and just giving up for the year.  They are pretty social, so I hate to just leave one in the tank.  Which is better: risk more sick frogs or leave him all alone all winter?  Lonely sucks.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 3:24 PM, Louise02 said:

They are pretty social, so I hate to just leave one in the tank.

FWIW: We’ve had a lone male in a tank for a couple years now. He has other tank mates that aren’t frogs, so technically he’s a loner. No issues with ours whatsoever 

• Like 1

I’m so sorry for your loss. I used freeze dried brine shrimp one time. I lost 2 fish in different tanks to extreme stomach bloat.  I’ve also had this happen with freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex. I choose to use no freeze dried products for this reason. 
I only feed my frogs a variety of live worms. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m so sorry for your loss. I used freeze dried brine shrimp one time. I lost 2 fish in different tanks to extreme stomach bloat.  I’ve also had this happen with freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex. I choose to use no freeze dried products for this reason. 
I only feed my frogs a variety of live worms. 

Thank you for explaining!

Please advise!  We live hours away from any live food supplier.  I am willing to purchase AC's BBS hatchery & gear if that is what I have to do.  I didn't want to, but I don't see any alternative.  Do you have a better or easier idea than setting up a BBS hatchery?  Realistically, I can't raise a bunch of different types of live food.  I think one would be enough work.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 6:09 AM, Guppysnail said:

BBS is not a really good choice for frogs. A small deli cup culture of grindle worms or larger shoe box of white worms would be more ideal as a food source. 

Where would you find something like that?