New to Fishkeeping Question

Hello,

I am new to fish keeping and have been doing a ton of research on the nitrogen cycle, what type of fish are relatively beginner friendly, and more. I think my wife and I have narrowed down what we would like.

I am beginning the hobby with a 29 gallon tank and would like to put in:

Honey Gourami
Clown Killifish
Corydora Similis

How many of each type of fish do you recommend?
(I'm sure the answer is "it depends" but I would like to know a good base to start since I'm new, I also don't mind doing water changes/cleaning every 1-2 weeks)

Very Respectfully,

Rad

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 8:40 PM, Radical said:

Hello,

I am new to fish keeping and have been doing a ton of research on the nitrogen cycle, what type of fish are relatively beginner friendly, and more. I think my wife and I have narrowed down what we would like.

I am beginning the hobby with a 29 gallon tank and would like to put in:

Honey Gourami
Clown Killifish
Corydora Similis

(I'm sure the answer is "it depends" but I would like to know a good base to start since I'm new, I also don't mind doing water changes/cleaning every 1-2 weeks)

Very Respectfully,

Rad

Welcome to the forum. Are you doing a fishless cycle or fish in cycle? @Radical

• Like 2

On 8/11/2024 at 8:40 PM, Radical said:

Well, which one of those are your favorites. Start from there and give them the larger number. Then for small fish, the one inch per gallon is not a bad place to start. The honey gourami like to be a bit social as do the corys. Honeys are peaceful and you’ll want them to be in a small group 3-5. Corys like 6 or more, the more you have, the better the behavior will be. Haven’t done the killifish yet.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you Tlindsey and Tony S for taking the time to read my post and replying!

Tlindsey,

On 8/11/2024 at 11:25 PM, Tlindsey said:

Welcome to the forum. Are you doing a fishless cycle or fish in cycle? @Radical

I plan to do a fishless cycle where I put a frozen shrimp in a ziploc bag with a few holes in it, let it sit in the tank for a bit until the ammonia starts to build up then take it out. I also have the API quick start that I plan to add in, as well.

Very Respectfully,

Rad

Tony S,

On 8/12/2024 at 12:04 AM, Tony s said:

Well, which one of those are your favorites. Start from there and give them the larger number. Then for small fish, the one inch per gallon is not a bad place to start. The honey gourami like to be a bit social as do the corys. Honeys are peaceful and you’ll want them to be in a small group 3-5. Corys like 6 or more, the more you have, the better the behavior will be. Haven’t done the killifish yet.

The initial thought was honey gouramis because they are a good yellow color and almost everyone I see speaks highly of them for beginners. Corys were not the first thought - originally, I wanted Kuhli Loaches but the wife said they reminded her too much of snakes 😂However, we both agreed Corys would be good companions for the Honey Gouramis and would be great for minor clean up and showing activity towards the bottom of the tank. I also wanted a small group of fish that added a good color and met parameters similar to both the Honey Gouramis and the Corys - wife and I agreed upon clown killifish.

I will try out the 1 inch to 1 gallon rule. Probably 3 Honey Gouramis and 8 Corydora to start - the clown killifish maybe about 6-10. How many of each sex do you think I should get?

3 Honey Gourami - 1 male and 2 female?

8 Corydora - 4 male and 4 female?

Very Respectfully,

Rad

Edited by Radical
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 6:19 PM, Radical said:

8 Corydora - 4 male and 4 female?

I'm not sure you'd be able to tell. For the honey gourami, that sounds about right. With the killifish, 1 male to 2-3 females. and very tight lids. They love to jump.

and you'd still have room in the tank for a small school. maybe green neons or ember tetras. to play around with the numbers you could use aqadvisor.com. with the knowledge it's not perfect. but it's fun to play with

• Like 1

On 8/12/2024 at 7:17 PM, Tony s said:

I'm not sure you'd be able to tell. For the honey gourami, that sounds about right. With the killifish, 1 male to 2-3 females. and very tight lids. They love to jump.

and you'd still have room in the tank for a small school. maybe green neons or ember tetras. to play around with the numbers you could use aqadvisor.com. with the knowledge it's not perfect. but it's fun to play with

Tony s,

I will use those ratios and check out the site. Thank you for your help!

Very Respectfully,

Rad

• Like 1