Seachem purigen without a filter?

I just got some seachem purigen and while originally I was going to put it in my 55 community tank I now plan on putting it in my moina culture. However I’m not sure how effective it will be since I only run a sponge filter in that tank. If that would not be effective is there a way I can use it effectively in that tank without a filter sucking up all the moina?

On 8/9/2024 at 10:43 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

also is it supposed to smell like vinegar after you soak it

Ah, maybe? Never spent time smelling it.🤣

Pre-filter is a bit of sponge that fits over the end of a hang on back filter. Kind of like a tight fitting sponge filter at the hob intake 

Did you get the purigen in the pouch or loose in the bottle?  If you bought the pouch I would just attach it to your sponge filter and tie it in place with thread.  I did get tired of that method and started using a large rubber band so it would not squeeze the sponge filter but loosely hold the pouch along the sponge.  At first it is an eye sore but the purigen does get darker as it gets exhausted.  I would rotate the sponge so the purigen is facing the rear of the tank.  You will easily see the purigen as it changes color.Of course this does depend on the size and shape of your sponge filter.  

Another option could be getting a small air driven box filter.  You could fold the pouch into a filter box or if you got the loose purigen you could put it in a media bag.  This could be an option if you don't want to get a H.O.B. filter.

Make sure you rinse the purigen really good the first time you use it.  If you don't it will cloud your water.

The picture shows an exhausted pouch that I haven't recharged yet.  I usually place the rubberband in the middle so the media doesn't all fall to the bottom of the pouch.  I do replace the rubber band usually when I clean the filter. 

Hopefully that will give you some other ideas.

Good luck!

20240809_221702.jpg.d7511aca0cc3b248a381581fc945c023.jpg

Edited by Silverback
  • Like 1

Purigen will clear your water so it isn’t an eye sore, however if you connect it to a sponge filter, you’ve created another eye sore. It may work with the sponge, but it’s hard to believe it’s as effective as in a canister or hob. You could purchase a small hob so it could be moved to various aquariums that you’d like to get purigen going. 

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 1