Scale or Ich?

Newbie-ishfish

One of my red wag platys this afternoon has been hanging lower than normal in the tank and when swimming by I couldn’t tell what was maybe on the gill on one side? Is this ich of some kind or an injury to a scale? 

it’s hard to see but otherwise not sure why they’d be acting off. 

Temp 78

ph 7.5

ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <20

kh40-60 gh 200

IMG_8693.png

IMG_8692.jpeg

IMG_8685.jpeg

IMG_8694.png

Not ich. Ich will look like he got salted small white dots. Possibly a slight injury. Could also be the start of something like columnaris or fungus. Keep an eye out for further odd behavior or changes in the spot 

On 8/9/2024 at 6:58 AM, Newbie-ishfish said:

adding salt safe for the fish who are fine

Perfectly fine. Some people keep a low level of salt all the time. But, no plants, or Corys, or snails (I believe). Aquarium or marine salt only. Regular salt has additives 

On 8/9/2024 at 11:58 AM, Newbie-ishfish said:

@Colu is adding salt safe for the fish who are fine?

It's fine Just remember to only put back in what you take out so if you do a 3 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in as salt only removed though water changes 

Do I need to do a water change every day before I add new salt? Or you’re saying IF I do a water change to replace it that way?

when the treatment is done do you just go back to normal changes or do you have to slowly wean the salt? 

haven’t treated with salt before 

I think it might have been parasites or gill flukes (even though some places say you cant see those) but poops have been thin and stringy/white and this poor girl seemed fine even with the spot but after 2 days when I woke up her spine was completely bent in half and she couldnt swim so I decided to euthanize her. 

I'm treating with Fritz Paracleanse today just in case. 

• Sad 1