Manzanita wood

One of our LFS has started selling Manzanita wood, but it looks different than other pieces I've purchased. It seems to have the outer bark still on the branches. It looks great, but I'm wondering if it has any effect on water parameters. Will this layer chip away over time? This is what it looks like. 

r/Aquascape - Here is my setup video with beauty shots:

My Aquarium Sensei would say "No bark."  I think it depends on the type of wood and condition of the bark.  It will eventually come off.  In can release more tannins in your water and release excess nutrients into your water causing algae blooms or fungus/mold to grow.  Bark will usually decompose faster in the water then the wood and can cause changes in your water quality.   

I like the contrast it provides in your tank.  I hope it works out for you.  

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

That doesn’t look to me to have bark still on it.  Manzanita bark is dark red but rougher than that looks.  I would try to scrub off any bark you do see for exactly the reason mentioned by @Silverback.  But yours looks like bark is already gone.  It has a smoother appearance than it does with the bark.  Color is similar with or without bark for manzanita.  A bit stronger, deeper red without bark since the bark can be a touch more brown.

• Thanks 1