Hygro Willow (Hygrophila corymbosa "Augustifolia")

Hello plant people - 

I’m looking for more info on this plant (or just other similar Hygrophila species in general). There’s not a whole ton of info out there about this guy. Half the people say it needs medium - high light and CO2 or it’ll grow pretty slow. Some people say it grows like a weed in their low tech tanks.

I’ve heard it’s also a potassium hog. True? False?

I love the look of it and want a nice big, bushy background plant for my 29g. I’m not planning to run CO2 but am hoping to run medium light. I use Easy Green. I just want lots of fairly easy plants to make this bad boy an absolute jungle!

Also - I’m going to try out floating my stem plants for a bit before planting them. Would this plant benefit from that? Or would it benefit from being planted with root tabs right away?

• Like 1

I think that you can feel confident in the plant profile notes Tropica provides here. This is an easy plant if you can get it started.

I grow a lot of Hygrophila polysperma (“Indian Swampweed”). It is so bulletproof!

IMG_9209.jpeg.0edb57d38634c5d67cfb04f4f7ce2900.jpeg

IMG_9189.jpeg.0a567271419d7009ee9e7917910c8794.jpeg

IMG_9181.jpeg.39670ca9ce57074fd0e0e0921637d341.jpeg

I have grown Hygrophila difformis (“Water Wisteria”) very effectively as well. It withstood the nibbles of young goldfish…

IMG_0475.jpeg.2f4df9f20ece4cc24e721b44022ea3ca.jpeg

In both species, once you get the plant going, it’s very hardy. No CO2. No expensive lighting.

• Thanks 1