Do ADF need help?

We have two ADF in a ten-gallon, with the water level about an inch below the rim.  The ADF seem to be able to make it to the surface easily.  I'm just wondering if I should have something nearer to the waterline for them to rest on.  Should I add suction cup shelves? or something? to make it easier to get to the surface?  TIA!

• Like 1

I did have an ADF for a short time. I don’t think they rest out if the water, in fact I think it would risk them jumping out. They take gulps of air and then stay under for many minutes I remember. 
mine however did not live too long and I found it hard to feed . Mine would only eat  frozen live food which made a mess in the tank. I hope yours adapt to pellets or such for part of their diet. Good luck- I’m only giving my opinion as I’m NOT an expert on ADFs for sure.

Edited by Potterygal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 11:14 AM, Louise02 said:

We have two ADF in a ten-gallon, with the water level about an inch below the rim.  The ADF seem to be able to make it to the surface easily.  I'm just wondering if I should have something nearer to the waterline for them to rest on.  Should I add suction cup shelves? or something? to make it easier to get to the surface?  TIA!

Don’t think you need to add anything unless you want to.

I have mine in 55 and 75 gal tanks about 1.5 ft and 2 ft high if they don’t feel like swimming they sprawl out and float at the surface. They all make it up without much help, I only see the fat ones struggle and even then they just stop for a second before continuing up, kinda like a 2 steps forward 1 step back thing. I also see them quit swimming and just float up the rest of the way, again mostly the fat ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 1:14 PM, Louise02 said:

A 10g or 20L tank is a good depth for African dwarf frogs. They shouldn’t need help, although you may find them sitting near the surface on tall plants, uplift tubes, etc.