New fish ideas?

Hello everyone! I unfortunately lost a Molly fish today. He was about 4 years old and lived in a previous tank.

I am looking for ideas for a new fish as I currently have a 20 gallon high tank with 2 mollies, 6 Pygmy cories, and two nerite snails. 

Could I possibly get one platy fish and would it get along with the mollies?

Could I get a honey gourami and just keep the mollies as a pair?

Any other ideas?

WATER PARAMETERS:

CURRENT TANK IS A YEAR OLD!!

pH: 6.4? My test strip isn’t horribly accurate with that but I know it’s slightly acidic

gH: 250

kH: 0

Cl: 0

NO3: 0

NO2: 0

Temperature: 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit 

• Like 3

On 8/2/2024 at 5:31 PM, fishdogs said:

20 gallon high tank with 2 mollies, 6 Pygmy cories, and two nerite snails.

You have room for several more fish. Platies get along with everybody, so you're good there. I'd get 3 honey gourami, they're peaceful and they like to be in groups

• Like 3

On 8/2/2024 at 6:59 PM, Scapexghost said:

Keeping a molly for 4 years in 6.4 pH is crazy impressive

Never thought of that. @fishdogs mollies and platys would both prefer ph above 7 and hard water. All live bearers do. And snails for that matter 

The thing I worry about is the pygmies. They like lower ph and softer water. So, if you change things at all, maybe aim for a neutral ph. that should satisfy everyone.

And, yes, job well done for 4 yr old mollies 

• Like 1

If you like the mollies enough, I’d up their numbers. Maybe get like 4 more to give them a little school. But if you’ve got your heart set on Platys they’ll get along with the mollies well too!

Honey Gourami will be a nice edition. You can get one for a centerpiece fish or - as @Tony s mentioned - 3 for a little trio!

Edited by EricksonAquatics
  • Like 2

I would not add ton of buffers and lean towards creating a stable parameters all the time but instead lean towards the fish that are suitable for my tank

You add Equilibrium to reach that gh reading I guess? If so, I would lean towards acidic and soft water fish instead of platies

Gradually turn your stocking into a this type of fish so you wont have to deal with preparing water all the time and buying so many products. Hobby may feel tiring if you need to do ton of work rather than spending such time to sit and watch the tank

• Like 2

If it’s the mollies and snails combination that you really love. That’s great, just understand it’s going to take a bit more work. I understand completely. We keep what we like. What moves us. Very doable. Just make sure everything’s stable.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 10:56 PM, Tony s said:

If it’s the mollies and snails combination that you really love. That’s great, just understand it’s going to take a bit more work. I understand completely. We keep what we like. What moves us. Very doable. Just make sure everything’s stable.

Yes some Oreo mollies with mystery snails would be a perfect combo. This kind of mollie. Idk if this is what you call em tho.

6B7156F4-A0F6-4227-95EA-428A51CE247A.jpeg