Zebra Pleco Diet & Treats

Hello,

Back in Feburaruy 2024, I purchased a juvenile Zebra Pleco. I suspect he is around 9 months old at the time of this posting. I named him "Tux" for Tuxedo and he seems to be scooting around very nicely and eating. He is currently in a planted 10 gallon tank with multiple rock caves. He shares the tank with only some Swordtails.

I vary his diet with various sinking pellets, tubifex worms, and frozen brine/blood worms. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these fellas and if there are any food they go crazy for. I'm looking to treat him to some fine dining!

1.PNG

• Like 1

Well, Rebecca has a video on them. She studies evolution  of loricariidae as her PhD and is an ichthyologist/biologist. She is also in the hobby and owns so many different plecos and not only study them but also keep them and has lots of experience.

It is very common for us to see these hypancistrus being labeled as more like a carnivore, but she says scientific papers doesn't say so. 

You can check her video on hypancistrus here. She talks about their diet in the beggining

I personally rather base my Hypancistrus's diet based on the recommendation of a person who studies them academically and has so many different plecos as a hobbyist. Up to you. Even sites like planetcatfish may suggest carnivore heavy diet 

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 4

On 7/28/2024 at 2:17 PM, Airborne 82nd said:

Ah I think I have used these before as well with my other plecos. They do seem to like them!

On 7/28/2024 at 3:11 PM, Lennie said:

Well, Rebecca has a video on them. She studies evolution  of loricariidae as her PhD and is an ichthyologist/biologist. She is also in the hobby and owns so many different plecos and not only study them but also keep them and has lots of experience.

It is very common for us to see these hypancistrus being labeled as more like a carnivore, but she says scientific papers doesn't say so. 

You can check her video on hypancistrus here. She talks about their diet in the beggining

I personally rather base my Hypancistrus's diet based on the recommendation of a person who studies them academically and has so many different plecos as a hobbyist. Up to you. Even sites like planetcatfish may suggest carnivore heavy diet 

I will give this video a watch!! I Most certinatly agree. Almost every video I have watched and everything I read has stated L046 is almost strictly carnivore. I have personally watched behaviors of my Zebra which makes me question this. I have seem them rasp on my Anubias leaves and on algae prone spots in my aquarium.

I began watching her video and she seems very intelligent and legitimate. A very thick accident indeed!

On 7/29/2024 at 10:59 AM, johnnyxxl said:

Many animals will eat anything if they can't get what they truly want.  Pacu are mostly herbivores but if food is scarce they will attack people in the water.

You know I was thinking the same thing if that was the case. I believe my Zebra is eating pretty regularly, about every day.

On 7/29/2024 at 5:28 PM, T. Payne said:

I feed my breeding project of zebras dr bassleer green and regular, repashy, frozen brine shrimp and a couple different formulas made by ebo.

Which Repashy? Bottom Scratcher?