Water pump broken, can I revive it?

My partner put a bit of cloth over the exhaust of the water pump to decrease the flow and the extra stress seems to have killed the motor. I've cleaned all the parts and such but I haven't been able to get it to start up again including without filter or anything like that. Is it a lost cause or is there any possibilities I could try before I take more drastic measures like cracking the sealed compartment with the assumption this motor is a doomed? 

In case it matters it's an Aqua Nova NBF-1200

If you take it apart like you’re cleaning it and remove all the pressure from the motor and nothing happens. No motor movement of any sort at the impellers. It’s dead. Unfortunately 

Saw the title, clicked.... "OH, this will be fun, what's going on!?"  🙂 

On 7/22/2024 at 4:29 PM, Redpanda said:

I've cleaned all the parts and such but I haven't been able to get it to start up again including without filter or anything like that. Is it a lost cause or is there any possibilities I could try before I take more drastic measures like cracking the sealed compartment with the assumption this motor is a doomed? 

Common knowledge, sometimes applicable, is that you can restrict outflow and you won't burn out the pump.  This isn't a hard and fast rule, but I understand the logic of the setup and what you were trying to do there.  I think the main issue here is likely the magnets and coil inside of the pump overheated, that does a lot of bad things when it comes to the actual function of the motor.  It changes electric fields and burns things out and that's all bad.  I would toss it/recycle it and just work on getting one that is adjustable.  That exact same design, there's probably 20-30 of them that are adjustable.

https://www.michael-smith-engineers.co.uk/resources/useful-info/magnetic-drive-pumps

image.jpeg.b2bdd80b527cc836b38f49ebf3af7667.jpeg

Sometimes due to pure cost, pumps aren't adjustable and shouldn't be restricted. 

The only thing you could try to do is replace the impeller itself, which isn't worth it.  I would be testing the pump itself in a bucket without anything on the filter except for the actual pump itself. (no sponge, no nothing, JUST the pump so you can see what's going on)  If you smell anything like burnt rubber/plastic, it's dead dead.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2024 at 6:13 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Saw the title, clicked.... "OH, this will be fun, what's going on!?"  🙂 

Common knowledge, sometimes applicable, is that you can restrict outflow and you won't burn out the pump.  This isn't a hard and fast rule, but I understand the logic of the setup and what you were trying to do there.  I think the main issue here is likely the magnets and coil inside of the pump overheated, that does a lot of bad things when it comes to the actual function of the motor.  It changes electric fields and burns things out and that's all bad.  I would toss it/recycle it and just work on getting one that is adjustable.  That exact same design, there's probably 20-30 of them that are adjustable.

https://www.michael-smith-engineers.co.uk/resources/useful-info/magnetic-drive-pumps

image.jpeg.b2bdd80b527cc836b38f49ebf3af7667.jpeg

Sometimes due to pure cost, pumps aren't adjustable and shouldn't be restricted. 

The only thing you could try to do is replace the impeller itself, which isn't worth it.  I would be testing the pump itself in a bucket without anything on the filter except for the actual pump itself. (no sponge, no nothing, JUST the pump so you can see what's going on)  If you smell anything like burnt rubber/plastic, it's dead dead.

Okay thank you, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I haven't felt any vibrations from the motor so I suspect it's dead dead but remain hopeful out of sentimental value (it's not an expensive pump after all) 

• Like 1

I've put the motor in a bucket and nothing happens, I've also tried with only the impeller with the same result. So I'll try another impeller in the coming days and se if that's the issue, otherwise it's probably a lost cause. 

If nothing happens with the motor by itself. It’s dead. When doing a restriction like that, it’s best to restrict the outlet. Most pumps are designed that way. Like a clog. Restricting the intake can leave the impeller and motor without adequate cooling or lubrication. Which is probably the case here