Plan to Quarantine New Livebearers

We have two thriving livebearer aquariums with just one guppy.  That guppy and the aquariums are in great shape.  Someone is bringing us pairs of guppies and mollies.  How would you treat them?  I was planning to use a 10-gallon hospital tank that is empty right now, but I could use one of the aquariums that is up and running.  Last time I did this  I lost about 15 guppies, and I don't know why.  I am very open to suggestions and warnings.  I should have the equipment to do whatever I need to.  Thoughts?

On 7/20/2024 at 5:49 PM, Louise02 said:

We have two thriving livebearer aquariums with just one guppy.  That guppy and the aquariums are in great shape.  Someone is bringing us pairs of guppies and mollies.  How would you treat them?  I was planning to use a 10-gallon hospital tank that is empty right now, but I could use one of the aquariums that is up and running.  Last time I did this  I lost about 15 guppies, and I don't know why.  I am very open to suggestions and warnings.  I should have the equipment to do whatever I need to.  Thoughts?

I suggest place new fish in the empty 10 gallon observe and treat if necessary. 

• Like 2

Guppies are really bad at handling the pathogens when mixed in my opinion. You can quarantine the new ones to deworm and such if you worry, but they will be subject to the pathogens that already exist in your tank and their immunity may not take it well and you may still face problems and deaths that you dont see right now. The ones that will come to your house are likely to be familiar with each other and build resistance towards the pathogens in their home but your new tank and new fish is always a question mark that quarantine wont exactly help