Waterproof dish/pad under aquarium?

Jess

I just bought my first home, so I will be moving my 3 tanks there over the next 2 months (after some renovations, etc., they will be the last thing I move).  I’m installing engineered hardwood on the main level; upstairs is LVP (probably my 45 gallon will be upstairs, and the 17 gal and 7 gal will be on the main). 

I have a little anxiety about water drips/spillage on the hardwood. I’m wondering about some kind of thing underneath the cabinet that would still look good but also protect the wood? I’m not talking about catastrophic failure…that’s a whole other anxiety…here I’m just talking about the occasional, “oh I spilled water during a water change and didn’t notice it/didn’t clean it up fast enough.” Am I overthinking it?

• Like 1

I have hardwood floors and I can be a bit messy so I always keep a towel on the ground near the tank I’m working on. Other than that, you’re overthinking it. 
PS congrats on your new home. 

Edited by mynameisnobody
  • Like 2

If you are really that worried about drips, get a small braided cotton rug with a rubber bottom (intended to keep the rug from sliding) to it and sized to put it under the stand and still cover for several feet around the wood. The cotton will absorb the water and the rubber underlayer will keep the wood from getting wet.