Aquaclear finally getting an upgrade?!

The sponge pre-filter is new (to me anyway.) I wonder if they changed the motor shaft? That was always the failure point in them for me. The old stainless-steel shaft would erode and fail. Did they move to a ceramic shaft that's better? A different grade of stainless that's stronger? For me, the motor shaft was the thing that would fail. It's why I gave up on them after a while. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 5:01 PM, onlywei said:

Dang, motor is still external...

Yes, but the flow and motor have been tweeked, so it's no longer supposed to be an issue. 

John Hudson had a review on these. That was the one flaw he found in the new one. But the CEO or regional director addressed it with him. and he did some cold starts with no issues

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 5:09 PM, Tony s said:

Yes, but the flow and motor have been tweeked, so it's no longer supposed to be an issue. 

John Hudson had a review on these. That was the one flaw he found in the new one. But the CEO or regional director addressed it with him. and he did some cold starts with no issues

Cold starts aren't the only downside to external motors. There's also noise! Where can I find John Hudson's review? I searched his YouTube channel but couldn't find it.

Edited by onlywei
  • Like 1

I don’t find them noisy at all. It’s subjective. I have 6 in my living room and it works out great. I live in Florida where power outages are a common occurrence and I’ve never had an issue with it failing to restart, ever. 

• Like 3

On 7/23/2024 at 5:44 PM, onlywei said:

Where can I find John Hudson's review? I searched his YouTube channel but couldn't find it.

This livestream starting at minute 47

• Like 4

I've had the new one for almost a week, quiet and no complaints.  I had the old one and now this one on a UPS so no worries about restarting after a power failure.  Although from the live chat video above, they say it can restart on it's own.  I haven't tested that myself.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:20 AM, HWDan said:

I've had the new one for almost a week, quiet and no complaints.  I had the old one and now this one on a UPS so no worries about restarting after a power failure.  Although from the live chat video above, they say it can restart on it's own.  I haven't tested that myself.

Can you just unplug it for 10 minutes and then plug it back in?

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:38 AM, onlywei said:

Can you just unplug it for 10 minutes and then plug it back in?

It started right back up after 10-20 minutes like nothing happened, no air bubbles, gurgling or any sound at all.  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 6:13 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I live in Florida where power outages are a common occurrence

Lol, yes they are.  The only Aquaclear filter I have that consistently won't restart the water flow is for my smallest tank (15 long).  So hopefully the upgraded motor will solve the problem.