JS Fish's 5 gal tall tank journal

This is a tank I got a little bit ago for free from a teacher who was moving from my school.

It is a five gallon tall tank with a built in filter system.

I set this tank up by starting with a roughly inch deep layer of fine gravel. Then I put ontop a layer of sand about an inch deep in the front and 2 inches deep in the back. After, I put two peices of wood from my backyard into the tank along with some small river stones and a fossil. Later I found a tank decor that is a big hollow river stone with two big holes in it making a cave.

For plants, I used water wisteria, java moss, dwarf hair grass, micro sword, water salvinia, and duck weed. I also have a peice of pothos with its roots in the tank as extra filtration.

At first it was home to a small pet bass. I bought him 3 little feeder guppies and 2 feeder shrimp for him to eat. He ate two of the guppies but none of the shrimp. After the bass who I named Boomy wasn't doing so well, I released him back where I found him and found that my single guppy was pregnant.

Since this, my guppy has had around 14 fry and my shrimps have passed. Here's the tank now:

20240718_172305.jpg.d254d9d4446ae3b0f89dda87d0576808.jpg20240718_172314.jpg.8f185e722d616a6f70b94d8de89151e6.jpg

Now I'm building a backyard pond I plan to eventually use to house these guppies and some comet goldfish.

20240718_172428.jpg.20b4e919e920b5e2c2db39fc797a9b0c.jpg

Edited by JS Fish
  • Love 2

On 7/18/2024 at 9:19 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I love the idea of a guppy pond! They will be so happy out there. If you plan on moving the guppies to the pond, are you going to put anything different in the 5g?

Thanks. Most likely. I'm thinking of moving my bumble bee goby to this five and maybe going with rocket killifish and shrimp!

• Love 2

On 7/18/2024 at 10:43 PM, JS Fish said:

Thanks. Most likely. I'm thinking of moving my bumble bee goby to this five and maybe going with rocket killifish and shrimp!

Sounds awesome! Just hearing the idea of a guppy pond is great! I cannot wait to see what it looks like! 

On 7/23/2024 at 8:07 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

It is ok, I just watched it!!! Great looking tank and awesome little gups! Very cool!!!!

Thanks! I just recently figured out how to add music to my youtube videos which seems to help!

• Love 1