Fertilizing question

Robin

My Nitrates are running 10 to 20. If I add Easy Green and Carbon to my tank is that going to raise my nitrates? I know there are lots of other nutrients that the plants need so I want to continue to fertilize but if it raises my nitrates and I have to do more frequent water changes doesn't that defeat the fertilizing? Would it make more sense to dose half as much?

Yes adding Easy Green will raise your nitrates. But it also adds in all of the other good macronutrients and micros the plants need. You could try smaller than recommended dosing and see if there is any improvement in plant growth. It's also possible that adding the rest of the nutrients will make the plants consume more of the nitrates as they get a more balanced diet and you won't see a rise. I would consider it worth the experiment.  

1 hour ago, LC Roszell said:

Yes adding Easy Green will raise your nitrates. But it also adds in all of the other good macronutrients and micros the plants need. You could try smaller than recommended dosing and see if there is any improvement in plant growth. It's also possible that adding the rest of the nutrients will make the plants consume more of the nitrates as they get a more balanced diet and you won't see a rise. I would consider it worth the experiment.  

I think you're right. I'm testing for nitrates every week as it is so we'll see.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I wouldnt be too worried about it unless it makes you go over 40ppm. 

So far that doesn't seem to be a problem. I've been staying under 40 and if that's the line I'll continue at full strength and see if it stays that way. If not I'll try half strength.