HELP!

Today I noticed detritus worms and copepods in my 10 gal this morning from last year when I quit the hobby somehow, they've caused me hell last year and I quit the hobby because of them. As of now, they're at relatively low population and none are adults yet. I cannot use bleach, however please give me some ways to put them in enough shock to completely wipeout the population of both but not be too detrimental to my plants (it is okay if it does cause some damage and dieoff), even if it's a harsh method, please give me some method to get rid of, even if it is extreme.

I'm curious what about them, specifically, made you quit?  And are you thinking they were still existing in your empty aquarium for a year?  Highly unlikely unless you never cleaned it out before you set it back up.  They probably came in on your plants.

I love having detritus worms and copepods in my tank.  If their population is what made you crazy, it's all about you overfeeding.  If you stop overfeeding, their numbers will stay small/er.

• Like 6

Detritus worms and copepods are just part of a healthy, living ecosystem. They make great fish snacks. 

Agreed that over feeding can cause populations to explode, so not over feeding is important, and again, your fish will eat them. Excellent live food for your fish. 

• Like 7

On 7/16/2024 at 11:21 AM, Sueet said:

I'm curious what about them, specifically, made you quit?  And are you thinking they were still existing in your empty aquarium for a year?  Highly unlikely unless you never cleaned it out before you set it back up.  They probably came in on your plants.

I love having detritus worms and copepods in my tank.  If their population is what made you crazy, it's all about you overfeeding.  If you stop overfeeding, their numbers will stay small/er.

Honestly I quit because even after weeks of not feeding my fish they'd be overpopulated and cause bloating, it was too much of a hassle to deal with, and 60-70% water changes every two weeks was just putting to much stress on my and my tanks. I mean, I guess I'll just leave them cause I doubt they'll get that overpopulated again. Altho this same tank is the one I plan on doing zero water changes after cycling. I think I'm just overthinking it, and just not consider it a problem.

How are they a problem?

If it is not a shrimp and/or snail only tank, small fish would eat them. I have them in every tank of mine and I cant remember population being an issue even once

Dont worry. they are good for your tanks. I would intentionally introduce them to any setup 🙂 

• Like 4

I’m happy to have detritus worms and copepods in my tanks.  Those are fish food.

They might overpopulate if you’re going shrimp only, but not if you have most any kind of omnivore or carnivore fish.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 1:49 PM, Lennie said:

Dont worry. they are good for your tanks. I would intentionally introduce them to any setup

Same here, I try and introduce them as a secondary food source and more diversity to eat to food waste. They also act as a barometer for telling if you're overfeeding. If you start to notice a population boom them you know they are getting more food.

But just to be sure, what do they look like? Do they swim in the water column or crawl on the glass?

• Like 2