ADF

My parents kept ADF, 20 years ago, in their guppy aquarium.  The frogs did really well.  However, I have heard since that guppy and ADF needs are quite different.  Does anyone know anything about this coupling.  Is it a terrible idea?

On 7/11/2024 at 11:07 PM, Louise02 said:

My parents kept ADF, 20 years ago, in their guppy aquarium.  The frogs did really well.  However, I have heard since that guppy and ADF needs are quite different.  Does anyone know anything about this coupling.  Is it a terrible idea?

@Guppysnail

Edited by Tlindsey
  • Like 1

My ADF have successfully bred.  I would not hesitate to put guppies with ADF. Both need calcium so do well in hard water. Make sure you are getting ADF and not African clawed frogs.  
Some of your fry will get nabbed by the frogs.  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2024 at 5:19 AM, daggaz said:

How does feeding them look? Was considering adding one to my jungle. Also, can they get big enough to eat chili rasboras?

Just a thought here:  when I have kept ADF in the past, they have been very social.  You might consider keeping a couple of them together.

On 7/12/2024 at 5:17 AM, Guppysnail said:

My ADF have successfully bred.  I would not hesitate to put guppies with ADF. Both need calcium so do well in hard water. Make sure you are getting ADF and not African clawed frogs.  
Some of your fry will get nabbed by the frogs.  

Thank you so much, Gupppysnail.  I have two open aquariums with crushed coral substrate.  If I am going to keep ADF and guppies together, would you cover the coral with a less abrasive substrate, or take out the coral and start over entirely.

I have several bags of a pearlized substrate that I used with my bettas (I don't use anything rough in betta tanks).  Would that be better than crushed coral?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:17 PM, Louise02 said:

Just a thought here:  when I have kept ADF in the past, they have been very social.  You might consider keeping a couple of them together.

Thank you so much, Gupppysnail.  I have two open aquariums with crushed coral substrate.  If I am going to keep ADF and guppies together, would you cover the coral with a less abrasive substrate, or take out the coral and start over entirely.

I have several bags of a pearlized substrate that I used with my bettas (I don't use anything rough in betta tanks).  Would that be better than crushed coral?

The frogs are fine with crushed coral. 😃

Frogs need calcium just like guppies. My water is ridiculously hard and mine do fine. They do t really care about the substrate. They do like nooks and crannies to tuck themselves in though. I use small betta wood and tiny terra cotta pots. 
They also like warm water I keep mine 76-77 and that’s ideal for guppies as well. 
I do recommend live worms grindal or white. They really thrive on live. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Love 2