Mystery illness

Hi guys, I need a bit of help. I’ve been monitoring this ember tetra, and I have no idea what is ailing it. It has lost pigment and developed a black stripe. Now it is swimming funny and it also seems skinny. Its tankmates do not present any symptoms. Fish is on the left in this photo. Any idea?

IMG_8061.jpeg.f1a8ea4c056b356301503ee5c97a5bab.jpeg

ammonia-0

nitrite-0

nitrate-10

temp-78

I have seen this before it seems to effect only  ember tetras were one in group start to lose colour and turn black there a lot of post on the internet no effective treatment what I have read some have said they have seen some   improvement when treating with praziquantel active ingredient in prazipro @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 2:22 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thanks. I will try feeding them some Prazi flake food. Very weird.

hopefully the prazi flake help

Edited by Colu

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 10:13 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hmm. No improvement with Prazi.

It could a bacterial disease or parasite that causes this there no definitive answer from what I have read  the fact it only effects ember tetras is odd I see post were  people have  treat with kanaplex maracyn2 maracyn and levamisole and it has shown no improvement  this is a newer disease in the hobby needs further research you could quarantine and try aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for a week and see if you see any improvement 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: the fish did not make it; it ate well the whole time but was still losing weight and color and became weak. At the time I had the fish in just a level 1 salt treatment. I didn’t want to go stronger based on fish condition. This illness does not seem to be contagious, as the fish always had tankmates and none of them were ever affected.

(Note: the fish did have 2 parasite treatments in Nov when adopted)

• Sad 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:29 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Update: the fish did not make it; it ate well the whole time but was still losing weight and color and became weak. At the time I had the fish in just a level 1 salt treatment. I didn’t want to go stronger based on fish condition. This illness does not seem to be contagious, as the fish always had tankmates and none of them were ever affected.

(Note: the fish did have 2 parasite treatments in Nov when adopted)

When your dealing with newer disease that haven't been study much its very difficult to treat sorry for your loss

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect
  • Thanks 1