Fluval Spec V Aquarium Journal - BesidePeacefulWaters

A couple weeks ago I bought a Fluval Spec V for our betta named Mystic. He was in a 10 gallon with 6 neon tetras, but started to regularly flare at them after a couple days. I've been cycling the tank, and it's just about ready. I have to buy something for the opening gap on top, to prevent any worries about him jumping out. I'm thinking some sort of plastic mesh to place on top of it.

I had some extra UNS Controsoil, and last week I bought a variety of Cryptocoryne to make a planted tank. A local fish store owner gave me some water from one of his cycled tanks, and then I added some FritzZyme 7 as well. When I lasted tested the water the Ammonia and Nitrites were at 0, and the Nitrates were around 80ppm. I did a large water change, and going to test again very soon. 

Mystic is alone in a separate aquarium for now, until this one is finished cycling. When the cycling is finished I'm looking forward to introducing him to his new home! Going to be on the very safe side with this one, as it's my third aquarium and I'm still new to the hobby. Feeling confident that after a couple more water changes the Nitrates will go down more, and it will be ready.

Some of the crypts are still melting a bit, when that's finished I hope to add some final touches to the tank, and make it a home that Mystic will be happy to live in!

• Love 3

They are good little tanks these Fluval AIOs. If you’re patient you will have quite the crypt jungle. I’d throw some root tabs every couple inches to help them settle in. Quite the palace for your betta. It’s tough with bettas some are so easy going and others turn murderous. Have fun!

• Like 2

On 7/2/2024 at 8:13 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’d throw some root tabs every couple inches to help them settle in.

Even with the controsoil? I assumed that's why the nitrates are so high, that the soil is chock full of nutrients and leaching either ammonia directly (which would then be converted by the biofilter) or nitrates.

@BesidePeacefulWaters, looks great! I'm a big fan of crypts; hopefully they grow in nice and lush for you and Mystic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2024 at 9:35 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Even with the controsoil? I assumed that's why the nitrates are so high, that the soil is chock full of nutrients and leaching either ammonia directly (which would then be converted by the biofilter) or nitrates.

@BesidePeacefulWaters, looks great! I'm a big fan of crypts; hopefully they grow in nice and lush for you and Mystic!

You could be right. The coop root tabs don’t have a lot of nitrogen, I think it’s mostly a clay soil and something else. I’ve never seen them really spike my nitrates with regular water changes but I’m imagining it could theoretically. I would just say with the slower growing nature of crypts I’ve seen less melt early with root tabs  but I’ve also never used contra soil- I’ve used a lot of fluval stratum, brightwell and I’m actually using some original version ADA in some planters/pots the fluval and ada have spiked things but nothing the plants haven’t been able to handle usually. I also use red root floaters or salvinia or another floater like hygroryzia to help with cycling and keep things low normal. George Farmer talked on his Podcast when he did it that he would use floaters or fast growing plants to offset the initial nutrient bumps from the soil and heavy dosing regimens he used in co2 tanks and I’ve used that as a way to offset these things! 

In any event I dig the tank and the form factor and look forward to seeing the progress. Have fun! 

• Like 2