Aquarium Glass lid hinge

MannyThakk

I realized the other day that the rubber hinges on my aquarium glass lids were starting to have small tears and seperation probaly caused by moisture and regular use.  Is there a diy replacement hinge i can use to fix that? Ive seen these on amazon and think they should be ok. Anyone have thoughts or ideas?

IMG_3499.png

On 6/30/2024 at 12:14 PM, MannyThakk said:

I realized the other day that the rubber hinges on my aquarium glass lids were starting to have small tears and seperation probaly caused by moisture and regular use.  Is there a diy replacement hinge i can use to fix that? Ive seen these on amazon and think they should be ok. Anyone have thoughts or ideas?

IMG_3499.png

I personally would use this product. https://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Aquarium-Glass-Replacement-Hinge/dp/B001TI2G2W/ref=asc_df_B001TI2G2W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=692875362841&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11192813554382179932&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015345&hvtargid=pla-2281435178338&psc=1&mcid=0c8f49cbf78d335e9c2cb6590a4ea3e7&hvocijid=11192813554382179932-B001TI2G2W-&hvexpln=73&gad_source=1

@MannyThakk

On 6/30/2024 at 12:14 PM, MannyThakk said:

IMG_3499.png

Ryo Watanabe has a video where he's making DIY lids:

He's using polycarbonate plastic greenhouse sheeting, not glass, but he just uses a very strong double-sided tape to attach stainless steel hinges, at the 6:35 mark. I imagine that would work on glass, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Those hinges work... PITA to get the old ones off though, razor blade and siliconelube made quick work of it.

I only rebuilt one... then just bought acrylic sheets and made my own. Ended up being cheaper than the glass ones so that's just what I do now. The hinges don't bend as well as the originals but I usually remove the entire lid anyway  - auto feeders do the daily tasks. Once I figure out a good 12v dosing system for nano fry,  my workload will be more of a "check up and enjoy the view ".

• Love 1

I ended up goin to my lfs by me to get some more frozen food and i saw that they had a bucket of the hinges for my glass lid. Figured id buy them from the store rather than from amazon. #supportlfs The owner there was able to cut the strips to the length i need and told me that sometimes superglue may not work because the thickness of the glass may vary and may not fit the lip of the hinges properly. He suggested i use aquarium silicone with the super glue to fill in the gaps. Thank you to everyone that commented! 

• Like 1