Fungus or protozoan?

ange

On 6/28/2024 at 11:13 PM, ange said:

I'm treating a tank for CRW and noticed this guy has spots. They look like a protozoan cyst, probably ich, but wanted a second opinion. Tank currently has Expel P and Ich-X

PXL_20240628_211204515.MP.jpg

PXL_20240628_211452097.MP.jpg

PXL_20240628_211454217.MP.jpg

That's not ich typically ich looks like small grains  of salt sprinkled over the the body rarely on the eye and are flat the spots are to  big to be  ich are they flat or raised it's difficult to tell of your pictures and what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate pH KH GH temperature what symptoms are your seeing to suspect wasting disease 

Edited by Colu

pH 7.8

GH 6°

KH 8°

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

Temp 80

This is a livebearer tank that I'm rehabbing before giving away the livestock so I unfortunately don't know the history. I've had it for a few weeks and have been using an established sponge filter. There are a few fish who are pretty rough due to parasitic load and this is the only one with the white spots.

It looks too fuzzy to be ich, plus I've only ever seen more cysts on a fish. It doesn't look like fungus. The spots are raised.

When I said CRW I meant camallanus red worms. They're hard to see in the photos due to the net being red but there are worms protruding from the fish's anus. The affected fish are on course #2 and luckily I'm experiences with treating that.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 1:00 AM, ange said:

pH 7.8

GH 6°

KH 8°

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

Temp 80

This is a livebearer tank that I'm rehabbing before giving away the livestock so I unfortunately don't know the history. I've had it for a few weeks and have been using an established sponge filter. There are a few fish who are pretty rough due to parasitic load and this is the only one with the white spots.

It looks too fuzzy to be ich, plus I've only ever seen more cysts on a fish. It doesn't look like fungus. The spots are raised.

When I said CRW I meant camallanus red worms. They're hard to see in the photos due to the net being red but there are worms protruding from the fish's anus. The affected fish are on course #2 and luckily I'm experiences with treating that.

Your water parameters are fine Camallanus worms can take four full courses of expel p one week apart to deal  the spots  could have a bacterial component what I would do is treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for a week then give an update 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1