Glow Light Tetra turning white

Sandrock14

Hello,

I have an older Glow Light Tetra in my 25 gallon tank. I estimate he is 3-5 years old. I noticed today his torso/main body appears to be turning a white color. None of my other Tetras are showing this. Currently I have approximately 1 pristella, 6 cardinal, 6 glow light tetras, 1 marble hatchetfish, and 1 bristlenose pleco in the tank.

pH: 7.6
Nitrates: 25ppm
Hardness: 300
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
KH/Buffer: 8
Water Temperature: 78

Curious your guy's thoughts? The Glow Light of concern is the bottom of the two Glow Lights.

GlowLight1.jpg

GlowLight2.jpg

Thank you for the response! I hope its just age, he is an old dog. About a week ago I added 4 new younger Glow Light Tetras that seemed perfectly healthy, and now the senior Glow Light is turning white.

I had just placed an order for some new tetras that I will have to cancel until I can further monitor the Glow Light color changes. I'm going to lighten up on the feeding and keep the light off/dim to hopefully make things more relaxing until I am able to further identify what is going on.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:37 AM, Sandrock14 said:

Do you guys believe it is possibly the start of Columnaris?

Looking at the pictures it's possible the start of columnaris that's a gram negative bacterial infections that spreads more quickly at higher temperatures and can in 24hr to 7 days depending on the stain the most effective treatment I have found is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan what I would suggest if this is the only fish displaying symptoms is to remove the fish to a quarantine tank and treat with medication i suggested  it might not columnaris I always air the side of caution with suspected columnaris 

1000000030.png

On 6/27/2024 at 5:28 AM, Colu said:

Looking at the pictures it's possible the start of columnaris that's a gram negative bacterial infections that spreads more quickly at higher temperatures and can in 24hr to 7 days depending on the stain the most effective treatment I have found is kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan what I would suggest if this is the only fish displaying symptoms is to remove the fish to a quarantine tank and treat with medication i suggested  it might not columnaris I always air the side of caution with suspected columnaris 

1000000030.png

Is this the medication you are recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-TB630W-Buddies-Tablets-8-Count/dp/B0002561WY

https://www.amazon.com/Kanaplex-5-g-0-18-oz/dp/B00CJ0VY8G

I currently have Maracyn and Maracyn II. I could start treating right now immediately with Maracyn. Do you have any experience with Maracyn comparted to the fizz tabs with kanaplex?

I appreciate the responses gents, seriously. I will get the medications so I have them in case but will monitor for a few more days before jumping to any conclusions. I have a nice batch of salt I can utilize as well. Thank you again for the information. It's always great to get an outside opinion that is objective.

On 6/27/2024 at 11:58 AM, Sandrock14 said:

Is this the medication you are recommending?

https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-TB630W-Buddies-Tablets-8-Count/dp/B0002561WY

https://www.amazon.com/Kanaplex-5-g-0-18-oz/dp/B00CJ0VY8G

I currently have Maracyn and Maracyn II. I could start treating right now immediately with Maracyn. Do you have any experience with Maracyn comparted to the fizz tabs with kanaplex?

That the medication you want to use with kanaplex you could start treating with maracyn2 that treats gram negative bacteria that will treat columnaris combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone provide a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment  I have never used kanaplex and maracyn2 as a combined treatment so  i can't recommend it

Edited by Colu

On 6/27/2024 at 5:32 PM, Colu said:

That the medication you want to use with kanaplex you could start treating with maracyn2 that treats gram negative bacteria that will treat columnaris combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone provide a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment  I have never used kanaplex and maracyn2 as a combined treatment so  i can recommend it

It appears the Glow Lights white blotching is getting worse. I put a little salt in, did a light feeding and very small water change. The light is turned off for now. 

the medication you recommended arrives tomorrow. I think im going to begin the treatment you recommended tomorrow if he looks even worse. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2024 at 5:28 AM, Colu said:

1000000030.png

I started this treatment today. I hope it helps! Thank you for the recommendation. 

• Like 1