Maracyn 2 past expiry

So guys I’m from the uk but assuming that Fritz uses the American date format (ordered from US)? So this expires 1st of September?

Also wondering if it’s okay to use Fritz Maracyn 2 after its expiry date? If not should I ask them to send another that doesn’t expire in a few months or is it just unlucky?

On 6/24/2024 at 3:33 PM, Cjbear087 said:

So guys I’m from the uk but assuming that Fritz uses the American date format (ordered from US)? So this expires 1st of September?

Also wondering if it’s okay to use Fritz Maracyn 2 after its expiry date? If not should I ask them to send another that doesn’t expire in a few months or is it just unlucky?

You can use antibiotic medication after the expiry date it becomes less effective so maybe after month after the expiry date it's 90% or 95% effective each month the medication will essentially become weaker and less likely to treat the disease the fish has 

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 11:28 AM, Colu said:

You can use antibiotic medication after the expiry date it becomes less effective so maybe after month after the expiry date it's 90% or 95% effective each month the medication will essentially become weaker and less likely to treat the disease the fish has 

Is Maracyn 2 specifically okay? I’ve seen some people say after the expiry it becomes toxic

Some people say a lot of stuff.  Virtually no meds go from effective to poison on the expiration date.  Drug regulators frown on that😉.  Do a Google or Google Scholar search on the generic drug and for every single one there'll be studies on long term storage and efficacy.  Ignore fish websites like the plague on this.  I also don't think it's likely you'd get written info from a manufacturer that claims anything beyond the stamped date itself.  Ignore my conclusion, too, and go for the research.   

The above being said, if I were in Europe, where drugs are unavailable to the average aquarist, I'd  go for it without qualm (who knows if customs might confiscate future shipments).  Actually, I'd use the Maracyn without giving it a second thought. Be sure to store meds in a cool dry place. Beyond that you can extend storage of some dry meds in the fridge or freezer, taking care to bring the drug to room temp before opening to avoid condensation.  Some meds, particularly liquids, can be/need to be to be refrigerated but not frozen.  

And then, for what it's worth, my understanding is that some antibiotics are  more sensitive to long term storage conditions and time than typical meds.  For most meds a predicable decrease in potency can be compensated for by an increase in dosage, but some aquatics may be too sensitive for this course of action. I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Cheers!  Steve Herje 

Edited by Steve Herje
Omitted word
  • Like 1