Ryan1988

Hello Everyone,

Water Parameters:

• pH 7.0
  • Nitrates 0
  • Hardness Hard
  • Nitrite 0 
  • Ammonia 0 
  • KH/Buffer green (sorry don't remember the number but it's fine)
  • Water Temperature 78

I'm sorry I don't have a photo, didn't get one before heading to the office. This is more for just confirmation / treatment direction. I believe my Electric blue Acara has internal parasites or some other disease. I first notice he was having issues this morning and the symptoms are as follows:

Loss of color

Swimming vertically (does swim away when i tried to catch him, will try again when i get home to put in quarantine. )

Tail fin section seems to be skinny

White nodule on the anal sphincter (normally parasites are stringy but this is round) 

Am I correct on the internal parasites? proposed treatment is paracleanse, can / should I also do a round of maracyn?

I wasn't able to find any pictures of what my guy has on the internet so figured i'd ask here.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan. 

On 6/21/2024 at 8:41 AM, Ryan1988 said:

Hello Everyone,

Water Parameters:

• pH 7.0
  • Nitrates 0
  • Hardness Hard
  • Nitrite 0 
  • Ammonia 0 
  • KH/Buffer green (sorry don't remember the number but it's fine)
  • Water Temperature 78

I'm sorry I don't have a photo, didn't get one before heading to the office. This is more for just confirmation / treatment direction. I believe my Electric blue Acara has internal parasites or some other disease. I first notice he was having issues this morning and the symptoms are as follows:

Loss of color

Swimming vertically (does swim away when i tried to catch him, will try again when i get home to put in quarantine. )

Tail fin section seems to be skinny

White nodule on the anal sphincter (normally parasites are stringy but this is round) 

Am I correct on the internal parasites? proposed treatment is paracleanse, can / should I also do a round of maracyn?

I wasn't able to find any pictures of what my guy has on the internet so figured i'd ask here.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan. 

How long has the aquarium been up and running? You have a 0ppm for Nitrate. A fully cycled aquarium would have a positive reading 5ppm or more. @Ryan1988

Edited by Tlindsey

@Tlindsey Several months perhaps 4-5. It is a planted aquarium so either they are sucking up everything or the aquarium co op test strips aren't accurate but I don't think that is is case since the same test strips are working for the PH GH and KH. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 9:07 AM, Ryan1988 said:

@Tlindsey Several months perhaps 4-5. It is a planted aquarium so either they are sucking up everything or the aquarium co op test strips aren't accurate but I don't think that is is case since the same test strips are working for the PH GH and KH. 

How long have you had the Electric Blue Acara?

On 6/21/2024 at 2:34 PM, Ryan1988 said:

@Tlindsey 3-4 months All fish went through quarantine. I have 1 other electric blue acara 2 geophagus and 4 congo tetras that are also in the tank and all are fine.

If you can take a picture of the fish it will help with a diagnosis any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly white stringy poop 

@Colu I will take a picture as soon as I get home for you. the poop was more of a round nodule rather than stringy. As far as i noticed this morning, no rapid breathing, no sunken belly but he was at the surface at one point. When he was his head was facing the bottom and tail toward the top. When I attempted to catch him to put him in quarantine real quick this morning he was always able to swim away. 

@Colu Here is the photo dump. When i was taking the photos I also noticed a black line which you can see in the picture this is on both sides of his body. Not something that he was born with. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9f6bc13c-c046-4813-a952-fc1fb8827c35.jpg

678209d9-fd10-4b50-965a-fe61fea9daff.jpg

fe61acd0-02a9-48c5-9a74-501ae4bf588c.jpg

f101b765-5fdc-4c48-bfcf-693bed018f80.jpg

Updated numbers from the test strips still show no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH is high as always and KH and PH is normal. 7.2-7.6  I can't tell the color difference for PH its orange lol. I updated the temperature from 77-78 to 78-79 just now. 

He Doesn't look right in the picture looks thin small bulge were anus is could be caused by prolapse or a parasitic infection it's difficult to say for sure does the bulge look like this  @Ryan1988

1000000307.png

Edited by Colu

On 6/22/2024 at 1:28 AM, Ryan1988 said:

@Colu no it looks round and white not red and stringy

Could be a prolapse for that you would want to treat with epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help your fish reabsorb the prolapse

@Colu just an update, I wasn't able to catch him to get him out of the tank but after a day of turning up the temp by 1 degree he has come out of hiding and swimming up  to the glass with the other fish. Color is back to. I'm guessing constipation. 

image.jpeg

On 6/23/2024 at 9:19 PM, Ryan1988 said:

@Colu just an update, I wasn't able to catch him to get him out of the tank but after a day of turning up the temp by 1 degree he has come out of hiding and swimming up  to the glass with the other fish. Color is back to. I'm guessing constipation. 

image.jpeg

It's possible I can still see something that doesn't look right near the vent of the fish on the right