Two part test strip question

#1.  My test strip readings have gotten very strange.  While there have been some hiccups, my parameters have always been boring and stable. Nitrates averaged 25-50, GH has always been what many of us consider to be >301, KH has always been about 40-60, PH has averaged 6.6 I'm not to concerned about the Nitrates.  

what I see: on the ACO test strip, is  GH= >301, and KH= 160? PH=6.6.  The PH has climbed some, but remains below 7.  The API tests indicate: GH=180 and KH= 90.  This test was repeated x3.  The last time I did a API test the results varied by < 20ppm.  Who do I believe?

#2.  While trying to reason this out, I found a formula to approximate the Ca and Mg components in my GH.

IF DGH = 10 than, Calcium = 71 (10 x 7.1)   Magnesium = 43 (10 x 4.3).  Does this sound right?  

TS6-18-24.png.09b0b5ee805dcb9a8edc7180bee4eba5.png

Hey, while i am not a professional i noticed that test strips are not always very accurate. In my tank i use the "JBL Pro aquatest combi set". It's a very quick and easy to use water testing kit, i really recommend this one. If your interested here is the link to the test kit also: https://www.petsplace.be/nl/jbl-proaquatest-combiset-plus-nh4-testen-4014162240903-pps?srsltid=AfmBOoqVEjFOZT9UDNiKmV88aRgDoqfaxOnJlNvh5Oohl8sV7e85jMcnYoU

On 6/18/2024 at 12:28 PM, Tanked said:

GH has always been what many of us consider to be >301

Really. I never knew that. but then mine stays under 15dgh. Have they run droplet tests on that?

On 6/19/2024 at 9:51 AM, Stan_ said:

Hey, while i am not a professional i noticed that test strips are not always very accurate. In my tank i use the "JBL Pro aquatest combi set". It's a very quick and easy to use water testing kit, i really recommend this one. If your interested here is the link to the test kit also: https://www.petsplace.be/nl/jbl-proaquatest-combiset-plus-nh4-testen-4014162240903-pps?srsltid=AfmBOoqVEjFOZT9UDNiKmV88aRgDoqfaxOnJlNvh5Oohl8sV7e85jMcnYoU

Welcome to the forum!

I will check those out.  I don't expect test strips to be accurate, just close.  I realize that the strips are only an indicator.  I use them because testing and recording data on 4 aquariums can be done in under 10 minutes.  The question arises from the KH and PH numbers. showing a much wider variation between the test strips and Liquid test.  

On 6/19/2024 at 10:02 AM, Tony s said:

Really. I never knew that. but then mine stays under 15dgh. Have they run droplet tests on that?

There has been some difference of opinion on this, but it is a different color, and my latest bottle of test strips now includes a >301 indicator.  I had to laugh at that because >301 is how I've been recording my GH for over 3 years.  No idea about the droplet test.  For me at least, the droplet tests have their own inherent problems.

• Like 1