Apistogramma struggling

Ray B

I have a pair of Apistogramma Panduros. They are about two years old. The male is doing great, good color, swimming easily. But the female doesn't seem to be able to get off the bottom. I see no visible signs of trauma, fins look good, no missing scales, etc. She is eating, just can't swim. What could be causing this? I have tested the water, everything looks good. All the other fish are fine as well. Thank you for your help.

On 6/16/2024 at 6:19 PM, Ray B said:

I have a pair of Apistogramma Panduros. They are about two years old. The male is doing great, good color, swimming easily. But the female doesn't seem to be able to get off the bottom. I see no visible signs of trauma, fins look good, no missing scales, etc. She is eating, just can't swim. What could be causing this? I have tested the water, everything looks good. All the other fish are fine as well. Thank you for your help.

Possible injury to the swim have you notice the male being aggressive trying to spawn any rapid breathing sunken belly lose of appetite white stringy poop and have you added anything to the tank recently that could have bought in disease can you post a picture of the Sick fish have recently you done a water change before you saw her struggling to swim

Edited by Colu

I could not get a photo, she only comes out to the front in the morning when feed them. I'll try tomorrow. She does eat and I make sure food gets in front of her since she can't chase after it. Her color is bland not bright and strong as it was. This all seemed to happen while I was away for 5 days a few weeks ago. It is possible that the temperature went into the upper 60's one night but mid 70's the rest of the time. The male swims close to her but I have never seen him actually attack her.

On 6/16/2024 at 10:49 PM, Ray B said:

I could not get a photo, she only comes out to the front in the morning when feed them. I'll try tomorrow. She does eat and I make sure food gets in front of her since she can't chase after it. Her color is bland not bright and strong as it was. This all seemed to happen while I was away for 5 days a few weeks ago. It is possible that the temperature went into the upper 60's one night but mid 70's the rest of the time. The male swims close to her but I have never seen him actually attack her.

If the temperature dropped into the upper 60°F that could have the effected the fishes swim bladder that can also be caused by a bacterial infection of the swim bladder your fish over eating and the stomach putting pressure on the swim bladder or an injury to the swim bladder with lost of colour could be a bacterial infection what i would do is quarantine and do a course of maracyn2 or kanaplex and add plain unsented epsom salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 5 days as epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder