JS Fish's 5 gallon journal

This all started due to my very picky sparkling gourami. First he was in a 2.5 gallon with a mexican dwarf crayfish. He was doing well until the crayfish started picking on him and I noticed gouramis fins were getting shredded.

After this I moved gourami to my 20 gallon to see how he would do in there. He was fine with my shrimp, otocinclus, and dwarf rasboras but was picking on my scarlet badis. So I had to move him out of there as well.

Now I was in a dilemma. I couldn't put him in any of my tanks without problems so I had to come up with something fast. He is currently set up in a 1 gallon fish bowl with an air stone as a temporary solution. He hopefully wont be in there for more than a couple weeks.

Screenshot_20240611-154707_Gallery.jpg.0453eb4b94c79ee02f5ca6987247a258.jpg

In the mean time, I went to my local pet shop to get crickets for my leopard gecko George when I noticed something. They were having a sale on "desk top fish tanks". Included in that sale was a 5 gallon aquarium kit. This kit included a 5 gallon aquarium, a HOB, a lid with a built in light, and a thermometer. I tested it for leaks in my garage and it checked out ok.

Screenshot_20240611-153541_Gallery.jpg.a5e171e9dda4c210689f5bad505ba1c6.jpg

Afterwards, I drained it and set it up on my desk. I used fluval stratum for my substrate and got a peice of mopani wood aswell. I put the substrate in and the peice of wood and filled it up with water. Then I plugged in my filter, put water conditioner in, and put in some biological enhancer.

Screenshot_20240611-153552_Gallery.jpg.156c5ec9d41b9251ca7661249d15e8f4.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the water to clear up so I can start scaping the dragon stone I also bought from the pet store.

Screenshot_20240611-153556_Gallery.jpg.02b2bd47e44bfbcec7892b51a9064a9b.jpg

Once its atleast somewhat cycled, I can plant the plants I picked up for the tank. I picked up a tissue culture of cardinal plants, and an anubias congensis.Screenshot_20240611-153548_Gallery.jpg.05c760beb9178725cb2c1989e3adb29f.jpg

I will continue updating as I go through the process. Thanks for reading!

• Love 1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Following! I think Sparkling Gouramis are the coolest. Have you ever heard yours do the weird croaking sort of noise? 🙂

I love them aswell! I spent alot of money to make sure I set him up a good aquarium. I have not heard mine make a noise, I didn't know they could do that! If you could, could you post the sound in this journal? That would be cool, thanks for the reply!

• Like 2

On 6/12/2024 at 1:06 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I think they mostly do it when they’re sparring/breeding. It’s the craziest thing. I don’t have them myself but here’s a video I found:

It’s a weird sound, almost like loud tapping or something!

Thanks! @EricksonAquatics

I have a question, my sparkling gourami hasent really gotten along with other fish to well, do you think it's ok to get another one or two sparkling gouramis for this tank or should I keep it only him?

• Like 2

I wish I knew someone who’s kept them or kept them myself. But from what I’ve seen I think you could make two in your 5g work. If you plant it up pretty densely they should do well. From what I’ve read they do better in pairs or small groups of their own kind anyways. Was yours rude to other fish?

I’d probably only start with one more and see how it goes. But maybe be prepared with a backup plan in case your little guy decides he doesn’t want a roommate 🙂

With two, you might get to hear their croaking!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 4:53 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I wish I knew someone who’s kept them or kept them myself. But from what I’ve seen I think you could make two in your 5g work. If you plant it up pretty densely they should do well. From what I’ve read they do better in pairs or small groups of their own kind anyways. Was yours rude to other fish?

I’d probably only start with one more and see how it goes. But maybe be prepared with a backup plan in case your little guy decides he doesn’t want a roommate 🙂

With two, you might get to hear their croaking!

Thanks for the advise, I'll keep it in mind!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Water has cleared up alot and the tank is almost ready for plants! I'm going to go with water salvinia, cardinal plants, and anubis nana petite.

Here are some pictures of the tank currently!

Screenshot_20240617-191612_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240617-191559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240617-191606_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240617-191609_Gallery.jpg

Edited by JS Fish
  • Like 2

Finished the black background for the tank and planted two anubias congensis! The tank is almost done cycling aswell.

Here are some pictures. The anubia's plants are on the right and on the left just behind the drift wood.

Screenshot_20240619-172138_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240619-172151_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240619-172202_Gallery.jpg

• Love 2

Finished planting the plants I bought for this tank! I planted 4 cardinal plants and one anubias nana petite. I also added a black lava rock (front right corner of tank infront of one of the cardinal plants). I added it because I though it added some nice texture variety in the substrate.

Screenshot_20240620-153927_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240620-153933_Gallery.jpg

• Love 2

On 6/12/2024 at 10:06 AM, EricksonAquatics said:

I think they mostly do it when they’re sparring/breeding. It’s the craziest thing. I don’t have them myself but here’s a video I found:

It’s a weird sound, almost like loud tapping or something!

First time I heard it I was up late working. At first I thought it was the floor creaking from a kid out off bed. Them it just kept happening and I remembered reading about it online.

After that every time I heard it I would try to get my wife to listen but she never got there in time. She thought I was crazy. Then like three weeks later I got a text "I heard them!"

Now that we know what it sounds like it's a lot easier to pick out and we hear it all the time in the evening when things are quite

• Love 1

On 6/21/2024 at 3:22 AM, Schuyler said:

First time I heard it I was up late working. At first I thought it was the floor creaking from a kid out off bed. Them it just kept happening and I remembered reading about it online.

After that every time I heard it I would try to get my wife to listen but she never got there in time. She thought I was crazy. Then like three weeks later I got a text "I heard them!"

Now that we know what it sounds like it's a lot easier to pick out and we hear it all the time in the evening when things are quite

@Schuyler, is the sound ever at night or anoyingly loud?

Posted (edited)

My sparkling gourami has finally been added to the tank! Hes been in a few days now and is doing good. His favorite spot in the tank is in the "cave" under the drift wood!

Also got some new plants planted in my tank!

The two new plants are dwarf hair grass and some variety of Alternanthera plant.

I cant wait for all the plants to grow in!

20240624_174216.jpg

20240624_174240.jpg

20240624_174933.jpg

20240624_174949.jpg

Edited by JS Fish
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/24/2024 at 5:45 PM, JS Fish said:

My sparkling gourami has finally been added to the tank! Hes been in a few days now and is doing good. His favorite spot in the tank is in the "cave" under the drift wood!

Also got some new plants planted in my tank!

The two new plants are dwarf hair grass and some variety of Alternanthera plant.

I cant wait for all the plants to grow in!

20240624_174216.jpg

20240624_174240.jpg

20240624_174933.jpg

Nice! You should try this newer anubias plant on ACs website! I just ordered it for my 20g! It is called, anubias hastifolia. It taller, but i think it would look good! Also pearl weed is one of my favs @JS Fish. It grows like a weed! No pun intended 😉