Berried Cherry Shrimp

One of my Cherry Shrimp is berried and is in my community tank. I have a school of neon tetras and was wondering if they would eat the baby shrimp once they hatched (20 gallon with lots of plants). Should I make another tank for them?

On 6/11/2024 at 1:50 AM, flossy said:

One of my Cherry Shrimp is berried and is in my community tank. I have a school of neon tetras and was wondering if they would eat the baby shrimp once they hatched (20 gallon with lots of plants). Should I make another tank for them?

As @johnnyxxl said, with enough hiding places (and lots of plants should be okay) enough should survive to sustain a colony.

On 6/11/2024 at 1:50 AM, flossy said:

Should I make another tank for them?

I would never tell someone not to have a separate tank for shrimp.  They are easier to enjoy that way, since they are more active, and you will see baby and juvenile shrimp out and about, which doesn't happen in tanks with fish.  I have guppies in all of my shrimp tanks, and the colonies do fine, but I rarely see baby shrimp.

• Like 1

In my experience, the colony does not survive in the long term in expected rates as long as there is enough hunters no matter how many hiding points provided. Baby shrimp basically roam around carelessly.

• Like 1