Sagittaria latifolia

On 6/10/2024 at 7:45 AM, Billipo said:

Can I use Sagittaria latifolia in a heated tropical tank or only a cold water tank?  Also can it be fully submerged?

Thanks in advance.

What is the temp in the tank? They can be in tanks, from 68 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit. And I believe it can be also fully submerged @Billipo.

Here is a care guide. https://bantam.earth/sagittaria-latifolia-broadleaf-sagittaria/#:~:text=Sagittaria latifolia%2C also known as,up any type of aquarium.

On 6/12/2024 at 2:02 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

What is the temp in the tank? They can be in tanks, from 68 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit. And I believe it can be also fully submerged @Billipo.

Here is a care guide. https://bantam.earth/sagittaria-latifolia-broadleaf-sagittaria/#:~:text=Sagittaria latifolia%2C also known as,up any type of aquarium.

Thanks for information. Most of what I had been able to find described the plant in native environment.  Thanks for the link it was informative. My aquarium temperature is at the top end of the range and I have an unheated tank as well so it probably will work in both. As far as submerged, not sure if I'm convinced. Content is vague on this point.

I was building a boardwalk at a park and found a couple plants which were going to be "displaced". I can report back as to success and/or failure.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2024 at 3:23 PM, Billipo said:

Thanks for information. Most of what I had been able to find described the plant in native environment.  Thanks for the link it was informative. My aquarium temperature is at the top end of the range and I have an unheated tank as well so it probably will work in both. As far as submerged, not sure if I'm convinced. Content is vague on this point.

I was building a boardwalk at a park and found a couple plants which were going to be "displaced". I can report back as to success and/or failure.

Yes i found no info on the submerged part at all. There is not much info on this plant. Idk why, but yeah. Your welcome! It will do good in both climates im sure. @Billipo

• 1 month later...

Follow up report.  

Bareroot plants (2) hanging in community tank, 10 hour lights - Stayed small, new shoots but eventually died 

Planted in tank substrate (2) (a plant only tank) fertilized, 24/7 lights - Some new growth but older leaves dying back

Planted in original soil capped with stone, fertilized, kept outside (2) - Thriving. Updated photo attached.

My conclusion. Natural light makes the difference. Personally, Not recommending for an aquarium.

swordplant.jpg.9827e8dd78acea83eb92352c16fe4b0b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...