Algae Help

I know how to deal with it if I can’t get it to do what I want. But I was wondering…is there a way to get this algae to grow along stuff instead of growing up? I really liked how it looked at first. But then I started getting out of control lol. And if not then how do I get that pretty algae to grow along drift wood. I think it’s the same kind of algae they make “moss balls” out of. 

IMG_4315.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

Ah ok I’ll eliminate it then. Crazy though. My nitrates are good I just tested after I added water to the tank. I’d still love to have a nice piece of algae covered drift wood. 

You don't need to get rid of algae at all! Algae is a plant, and like all live plants it keeps nitrates and nitrites low! If you like algae, keep it!!

If you want to control it's spread while encouraging it to cover that piece of driftwood, move the piece of driftwood to a separate container (like a tupper-ware or other food storage container) and add the aquarium water to it. Then wait and watch the algae spread! Give PLENTY of light, as much as you can, and add in some fish food (for nutrients) or plant fertilizer if you have any, like Easy Green

The sides of my 30 gallon are COVERED with algae and I just don't remove it. One, I like algae, and two, so do my snails 🙂 🙂 !! 😂

The only thing you have to watch out for if you do grow algae is to make sure your other live plants are getting enough nutrients. Algae is a powerhouse at sucking up excess nutrients, but that could mean it starves your other plants. So you may have to add more fertilizer if you decide to keep the algae. Otherwise, grow it! I completely agree it looks pretty, and if you like it: it is your aquarium, your choice.

On 6/4/2024 at 4:50 PM, clownbaby said:

You don't need to get rid of algae at all! Algae is a plant, and like all live plants it keeps nitrates and nitrites low! If you like algae, keep it!!

If you want to control it's spread while encouraging it to cover that piece of driftwood, move the piece of driftwood to a separate container (like a tupper-ware or other food storage container) and add the aquarium water to it. Then wait and watch the algae spread! Give PLENTY of light, as much as you can, and add in some fish food (for nutrients) or plant fertilizer if you have any, like Easy Green

The sides of my 30 gallon are COVERED with algae and I just don't remove it. One, I like algae, and two, so do my snails 🙂 🙂 !! 😂

The only thing you have to watch out for if you do grow algae is to make sure your other live plants are getting enough nutrients. Algae is a powerhouse at sucking up excess nutrients, but that could mean it starves your other plants. So you may have to add more fertilizer if you decide to keep the algae. Otherwise, grow it! I completely agree it looks pretty, and if you like it: it is your aquarium, your choice.

Oh - last thing! You could trim the end off of the algae and smear it onto the rest of the driftwood to encourage more growth. Make sure you do this in a separate container or you will have a problem! Also, make sure other types of algae (like diatoms) aren't growing on the rest of the wood to encourage the pretty green algae to spread. You can use a butter knife or a toothbrush to remove this. Hope this helps!

@clownbaby ima try everything you just said lol. Oddly enough I’ve already done most of what you said. I put the piece of wood in my old 5 gallon. But I didn’t trim it or anything. I tied it down to the wood with dark green thread. And I dosed the tank with seachem flourish. So I’ll keep ya updated. 

• Love 1

I've learned that algae can be beneficial especially when breeding is involved. Algae provides fry with a food source.. l've observed cichlid females herd the fry to algae covered ornaments and algae on the glass. I prefer to let it grow on the back wall of the aquarium.