What would be the best way to keep multiple Kribensis with minimal aggression?

I know I asked this question previously about Rainbow Cichlids, and I am considering getting either them or Kribs for my 54 Corner. Would a pair bully my ropefish, or should I play it safe and keep 2-3 females? I like the color of both males and females, and I'm pretty sure that the females only color up when they have mated (correct me if I'm wrong). Any response helps!

Posted (edited)

Kribs have been incredible and an absolute nightmare for me. 

They were the first non-livebearer I ever bred, and I learned a valuable lesson in that just because you can breed and raise a fish doesn’t mean there’s a market for those fish. And they breed like rabbits, and have some of the best paternal care in the fish world (meaning they’re very good at making more fry and raising them up). 

I was stuck with TONS of Kribs for a very long time. Years. I was FINALLY able to get rid of them all, only for the m/f pair to leave behind one more spawn that I didn’t notice. I still have like, 12 Kribs to this day because of that. I keep them around as a reminder to not overdo things. 

I fed tons of newly hatched fry to other fish as I simply couldn’t raise them and have MORE Kribs. I also let the pair raise a spawn, and kept ALL of their fry in the tank, hoping that 30+ Kribs in a tank would prevent them from spawning further. This worked for a long time, until it didn’t. The pair spawned AGAIN, and was chasing off their entire previous spawn from the new one. It was WILD, and again a good reminder to be careful what you wish for. I could make hundreds and hundreds of Kribs, but there was no way to offload them. 

As far as the females, they simply get MORE colorful when they have their breeding dress on. Their bellies turn a dark pink, their gold really colors up, and they just look incredible. Males get a dark pink/red under their chin. They’re beautiful, just can get out of hand quickly if you let it. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

That would be my advice. Maybe the other fish will eat the fry, but Kribs are ruthless when it comes to protecting their babies. 2 fish were literally fighting off 30-40 others, successfully. In a 20 gallon high. 

Edited by AllFishNoBrakes

I wonder if a community of females would work. Then again, I'd have to select them carefully to prevent an accidental male.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want a ton of fry with my rope around. Poor guy is pretty much blind.

On 5/29/2024 at 10:24 AM, Kunersbettas said:

I wonder if a community of females would work.

You definitely wouldn’t have to worry about fry at that point. 

They can be tough to sex when they’re young and you don’t know exactly what you’re looking at/for 

I heard that the females are plumper, and shorter bodied. Once they are in the tank, I should be able to tell them apart better. Just have to be careful which ones go in and which ones don't.

Thanks for the advice. I still can't decide on Kribs or Rainbow Cichlids. Both are beautiful, but as you mentioned, Kribs have breeding tendencies, Rainbows have digging tendencies.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2024 at 12:27 PM, Kunersbettas said:

I heard that the females are plumper, and shorter bodied. Once they are in the tank, I should be able to tell them apart better. Just have to be careful which ones go in and which ones don't.

I've had the same exact experience as @AllFishNoBrakes A female alone with free-swimming fry are equally aggressive as a pair of convict cichlid. @Kunersbettas

Edited by Tlindsey

There’s no right or wrong answer. If you can select all females and wanna try it out, do it by all means. 

My only other advice is if you go that route, make sure you have other fish that don’t have long fins. Kribs can be nippers. I had a single female in my 55 angelfish tank, and she was constantly nipping the long fins of the Angels. Had to solve that problem by removing her from that tank, too. 

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn’t add any cichlids with ropefish. Ropefish are much more graceful and calm. Cichlids will be cichlids and it cannot all be pre determined. If the ropefish means that much to you then I’d go for some sort of schooling fish. 

• Like 2

Got any recommendations? I got some turquoise rainbowfish, and I am looking for a colorful fish that is a bit stockier and a good centerpiece. The ropefish is really shy. How do I get him to come out more often.

I'd still another one. 54 corner is a bit of an odd shape (but cool). but heavily planted you should have plenty of room for a friend. and that by itself may bring him out. Or... you'll have 2 hiding ropefish 🤣

Yeah, a friend for him would be nice. I named him after the employees at my LFS. The next one would be named Kyle. My rainbows give him plenty of space, none of the fish ever bother him. I asked my dad about the idea of getting a second one, and he didn't seem too supportive of that. Thinks it might be cramping him. I mean, the tank can handle a massive bio load, and I've never seen Kevin make a mess. I have tried some tetras; they just never work out well. I had some big gold pristillas, and I think he may have made a snack of some of them. Can't say I've tried rummynose. I've thought about silvertips, my LFS always has them for a good price. I tried them in my 20 way back. They are more like barbs then tetras. I think the main reason why tetras don't work out all that often is because I have 8.0 Ph water, hard and alkaline.

On 5/29/2024 at 11:54 AM, johnnyxxl said:

Get some Barb's nice big school 

I'm not sure about that either. I lost my roselines a few weeks ago, at the same time, with no real cause for their death, being no injury, signs of illness, nothing.

That's why I have rainbows. They may be boisterous, but they are colorful, full of personality, and thrive in hard water, planted tanks. Also, what barbs don't eat plants? My dad suggested Odessa Barbs, but I don't want to spend money on fish unless they are tried and true by others in my area.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 2:55 PM, Kunersbettas said:

lso, what barbs don't eat plants? My dad suggested Odessa Barbs, but I don't want to spend money on fish unless they are tried and true by others in my area.

I have a planted tank with 15 tiger Barb's 6 black ruby Barb's, and 9 cherry Barb's.  They leave the plants alone my kulhi loaches and Panda cories unintentionally dig a few of the stems up drilling for bits of food.

• Like 1

@Tony s I agree with Tony, I’d add 1-2 more, then if they still hide, a small schooling fish may bring them out.

@Kunersbettas

At one point, I had a fairly extensive tarantula collection. One particular genus of tarantula lives in a hole in the ground. Thus if you keep it, you essentially are keeping a pet hole. In the aquarium hobby, we have similar behaviors. Some fish will prefer hiding, you need to find someone who keeps them, so you know what their baseline is. You can also scour the internets, but I find you can’t beat first hand experience. Then it’s easier to make a call as to what your expectations should be. 

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2024 at 4:42 PM, Kunersbettas said:

Aren't most barbs sort of aggressive?

If they aren't kept in groups, if you keep groups bigger groups minimum of like 6 they aren't likely to be nippy.  I wouldn't keep them with long fin fish but they are very active and always moving about.  Check the videos I have linked in my thread.