Plant Quarantine Process

GoGreen

Hello Everyone 

I just bought a bunch of new plants for my new tank and after reading everything I will be quarantining these new arrivals (partially to wait until the new tank is totally set up next weekend too).  I have done quarantines with anubius before, and just let them float, but this time I have purchased root plants for the first time (Swords, val and crypts specifically).  What is the process for quarantining the root feeders? Can I just put them in the quarantine tank or do I need to put a substrate down and plant them for the few weeks before moving them? Most will be potted, but I will have a few others coming from different places (they were sold out on the Co-Op) that will be bare root if that makes a difference.  Any help is appreciated. 

99% of people on this forum don't quarantine plants. It's very unlikely they will carry a disease that could affect your fish and I have yet to find a hitchhiker that is harmful (even things like planaria and hydra in invert-only setups). For root feeders specifically I'd really not recommend quarantine just because they take some time to establish in a new substrate and moving them around can cause unnecessary melting.

If you really want to quarantine your plants I'd just leave them in the little black strainer and rockwool that they come in. It will probably be a little harder on your plants with bare roots but that's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

• Like 3