Help identify sex of new Bolivian Ram please

I'd say male as well. The black spines look somewhat more acute, which usually indicates a male.

Also the more defined eye stripe is typically indicative of a male.

Is that a picture of it in the store or in a tank?

I have a breeding group of 6. They have all spawned and even side by side there are no distinguishing characteristics that only 1 show that I have been able to use.  
The only real way is breeding tubes. Males are pointy females are wide and blocky. 

I have videos in my journal showing breeding where you can see the tubes. I also am female heavy and twice 2 females paired to lay infertile eggs together and guard them until they fungused. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 4:39 PM, Kunersbettas said:

I'd say male as well. The black spines look somewhat more acute, which usually indicates a male.

Also the more defined eye stripe is typically indicative of a male.

Is that a picture of it in the store or in a tank?

That's in my tank, why?  It's a close up over a piece of slate.  

On 5/26/2024 at 4:58 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have a breeding group of 6. They have all spawned and even side by side there are no distinguishing characteristics that only 1 show that I have been able to use.  
The only real way is breeding tubes. Males are pointy females are wide and blocky. 

I have videos in my journal showing breeding where you can see the tubes. I also am female heavy and twice 2 females paired to lay infertile eggs together and guard them until they fungused. 

Yea I've read your journal about that already.  I've read plenty about how to sex them all saying the breeding tube is the best way.  Unfortunately it's hard to tell because it's so small.  Sometimes it looks small and pointed back indicating a male and at other angles like in this photo it looks more short and wide. 

I'm not breeding them so it's really not super important I just want to name it haha.  Funny story I got one from my trusted LFS and it died the next day because it had sunken belly and was stressed from the move.  Was at Petco grabbing a filter sponge the next day and saw this beauty looking nice and healthy and no disease in the tank and grabbed it and it's been super active and healthy.  So fun to watch dig in the sand and forage around.

What do you feed yours?  I'm currently feeding bug bites, hikari gold sinking pellets and frozen brine shrimp.  Colors are starting to develop more, they were pretty dull at the store unsurprisingly.

On 5/26/2024 at 5:14 PM, Kunersbettas said:

If it's in a tank it will have slightly more color. Probably still a male though.

He's only been in the tank a couple days and he's already showing way more color.  At the right angle his belly is much more yellow than in this picture.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

Another pair is spawning today and I was able to get clear male female breeding tube photos for you. 

FEMALE69927CDF-98EB-4146-9BFE-159EE025CD64.jpeg.1f646f35394fdbae9e2629fcc208eb68.jpeg

MALE412331DE-9732-4D9B-914F-55CA2941C68B.jpeg.72113f44f211e0aaf86b68d291a0b1f6.jpeg

Awesome thanks!  

On 5/29/2024 at 4:55 PM, DBrown918 said:

Got a new one can you tell the sex of these 2?  Think they are both males unfortunately but not sure.  I'm aware the new one bottom pic is stressed just added to tank.

PXL_20240529_161406735.jpg

PXL_20240529_161357524.jpg

Harder to see top breeding tube. If I had to guess boy. Bottom still not super clear tube but looks potentially female. 

• Thanks 1