Nano fish ideas for UNS 45s (5 Gal)

Hey all, sorry for blowing up the forum lately but I need advice on nano fish I haven't really kept them a whole ton. I really want a school of 3-6 kubotai rasbora for my 5 gallon but Iv'e looked around and its said I will need 10 gallons AT THE VERY LEAST! Iv'e also looked into gouramis and stuff but preferrably I want some kind of dither fish. (I won't be looking into betta fish, although they are great, I'm not really interested in them for this type of build.) So any other reccomendations (except betta and shrimp), will be awesome.

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Forgot to mention, I also would like some advice from a nano expert (if there are any). And with the reccomendation of your fish could you give some basic info behind them? Thanks again!  (E.G: Diet, Length, Breeding Tendencies, Color, Etc.)

Edited by EnvyDontKnow

Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t do more than one school of nano fish in a 5g. It’s not really enough space for a Gourami unless it’s something like a pair or trio of sparkling gourami.
I think you could do Kubotais but I don’t have any experience with them so I can’t say for sure. Any schooling fish should ideally be kept in groups of at least 5 or they’re not going to do as well.
https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/help-center#/collection/5073/article/25217

This page has a ton of videos and an article the Co-Op put out about different options for a 5g. Check it out if you need some other ideas.

If I were to do a 5g I’d probably pick Chili Rasboras or some other Borara species (phoenix, strawberry, least, etc.) or some clown killifish. They stay teeny tiny so you can have a pretty good size group of them in a 5g! 

Edited by EricksonAquatics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 2:25 PM, EnvyDontKnow said:

Hey all, sorry for blowing up the forum lately but I need advice on nano fish I haven't really kept them a whole ton. I really want a school of 3-6 kubotai rasbora for my 5 gallon but Iv'e looked around and its said I will need 10 gallons AT THE VERY LEAST! Iv'e also looked into gouramis and stuff but preferrably I want some kind of dither fish. (I won't be looking into betta fish, although they are great, I'm not really interested in them for this type of build.) So any other reccomendations (except betta and shrimp), will be awesome.

Thank you!

I mean I know they arent dither fish but pea puffers might be cool. The Co-Op made an article. They are a little bit hard to keep though so if your up to the challenge then go for it. They have cute faces and curious personalities and they are really cute.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/pea-puffer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1